Associate Scientist/Scientist, Functional Genomics
619 West 54th Street
New York, NY 10019
New York, New York Research Institute – Research Full Time
The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a growing and successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking an Associate Scientist/Scientist to join the Functional Genomics team. This position reports directly to the Sr. Staff Scientist, and works closely with other members of the NYSCF Research Institute including stem cell biologists, bioinformatician, software developers, bioinformatics, and operations.
You are a self-motivated applicant with a strong interest in stem cell research and high-throughput experimentation. You have a background in human PSC culture as well as molecular biology methods such as RNA/DNA isolation. Specific experience with preparing samples for sequencing is a plus.
This is a full-time position based on a 35-hour workweek, however, some weekend work may be required.
What you'll do:
- Manage and perform iPSC culture to support large-scale genome editing efforts as well as CRISPR screens
- Apply genome editing technologies to perform functional validation of specific gene families
- Analyze and interpret library-screen data in close communication to Bioinformaticians and Scientists
- Oversee isolation of DNA/RNA, submission of samples for Next-Generation Sequencing and RNA sequencing and tracking of data
- Work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of NYSCF scientists and staff
- Execute, troubleshoot and communicate tasks independently and effectively
- Maintain extremely organized and accurate records using an ELN/LIMS
- Provide regular feedback at inter-team meetings
- Provide routine scientific reports
What we're looking for:
- BSc/BA in Biology or relevant scientific discipline, MSc is a plus
- Experience with mammalian cell culture outside of coursework labs is preferred (experience with iPSC/hESC is highly desired)
- Experience with genome editing technologies is desired
- Experience in the application of OMICS tools for sequencing data results (STRING, ToppGene etc) is highly desired
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficient in both Mac and PC computer environments (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and ELNs)
- Extremely organized and ability to prioritize a substantial workload
- Able to analyze and interpret data and report findings succinctly
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a multidisciplinary team
- Organized and able to prioritize and execute tasks
- Adaptability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment requiring occasional weekend work
- Level commensurate with experience
We offer all full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that goes into effect on the first of the month following your start date.
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity in our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/4eqQwGSDzkZ4sqqNfWdq6
How to Apply