Why is one person more likely to develop a disease, like cancer, than someone else? Why would one person respond differently to treatment than another? Illumina’s technologies are helping researchers and clinicians around the world answer these questions and others, on a scale not even possible a few years ago.
Illumina is the only life sciences company developing genome-wide technologies for genotyping, gene expression and sequencing—the three cornerstones of modern genetic analysis. By enabling studies of thousands of patient samples at once, our products set genetic discovery on fast forward. And we’re just getting started.
As an Associate Scientist in the Technology Development group you will support the development of platforms based on our proprietary technologies. You will be part of multidisciplinary teams solving complex problems, working on integration issues and investigating new research areas.
- Perform experiments in the laboratory with some guidance from Scientists and/or Engineers
- Collaborate with all functions within project teams (such as chemistry, software, engineering and manufacturing)
- Engage in the early design of products and provide feedback based on empirical or theoretical data
- Develop and execute test plans to validate product performance
- Analyze data and troubleshoot issues
- Able to suggest creative solutions to chemistry integration issues
- Perform routine chemical and biochemical testing
- Use standard laboratory instrumentation: i.e. UV-VIS, HPLC, fluorescence plate readers, liquid handling robotics
- Produce and test complex reagents and new materials (analytical and functional testing)
- Hands-on testing and integration of surfaces into DNA sequencing systems – hardware, firmware, software, chemistry/reagents, and application components
- System level testing, assay testing, and image analysis, troubleshoot sequencing instruments, create and modify recipes for HiSeq, NextSeq, HiSeqX and other Illumina Platforms
- Analysis of large complex data sets
- Keeping a laboratory notebook
- Present updates, write reports, and conduct technical meetings
Required Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree in Chemistry (Physical Chemistry, Material Science, Analytical Chemistry)
- 3-4 years’ industrial experience in industry in a Biotech organization
- A sound foundation in surface chemistry, analytical chemistry and materials science
- Demonstrated knowledge of surface modification and biomolecules immobilization
- Demonstrated knowledge of experience setting up and troubleshooting sequencing platforms.
- A desire to be part of face paced dynamic development environment
- Multidisciplinary approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to understand and successfully work across multiple disciplines such as engineering, software and manufacturing highly desired
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience with Illumina platforms, consumables and instruments
- Industrial experience desired
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. Having built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, we’ve established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Our growth isn’t just revenue; we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. That’s why MIT ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.