Requisition ID 28821BR
Title Associate Scientist, Brain/Gut Group
Job Category Research & Development
Job Description PURPOSE:
Will participate in the obesity research target discovery program. Will leverage knowledge of brain circuits involved in the regulation of food intake and energy expenditure, as well as knowledge about peripheral signals that regulate these brain circuits, to design, implement, analyze and report in vivo pharmacology experiments and in vitro cell culture based studies. Responsible for research experiments and data integrity, as assigned by management.
Reports to the Vice President of the Obesity Research Unit. Internal relationships include working with research employees, project managers, as well as colleagues in Diabetes & Obesity Research in Novo Nordisk Inc., Novo Nordisk A/S, and Novo Nordisk Beijing. Serves as a mentor and peer leader to Research Associates and technicians within and outside of their project teams. External relationships include those with business partners, industry associations, legislative bodies, and focus patient representative groups.
• Design in vitro and/or in vivo experiments using understanding of the brain circuits that regulate food intake and energy expenditure, as well as the peripheral metabolic signals that regulate these brain circuits
• Perform metabolic phenotype studies in rodent models
• Histochemistry techniques and analysis
• Independently support development and management of research protocols in support of multiple drug discovery efforts
• Achieve business goals, shares learnings, knowledge and skills, and promotes cross-functional teamwork
• Complete assignments of diverse scope and complexity requiring a strong understanding and knowledge of techniques and practices related to the research area
• Ensure data integrity. Conduct data collection, accurately interpret experimental data and formulate conclusions, and may communicate data externally. Ensure proper documentation of experimental data; may contribute to milestone/project documentation. Maintain laboratory notebooks.
• Identify the correct methods and performs manual calculations for sample preparation
• In collaboration with other scientists, design and perform laboratory research experiments
• Manage site inventory. Order laboratory supplies and equipment. Maintain the laboratories and performs other job related duties as assigned.
• Perform in vitro biology research to support multiple target discovery efforts
• Demonstrate a high level of proficiency and understanding in area of specialization
• Work with Department Heads and Scientists to ensure better practice sharing and implementation within the lab
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• A PhD preferred; a BA plus 6+ years of experience required; advanced degree may be substituted for experience as appropriate
• High level understanding of the brain circuits that regulate food intake and energy expenditure, as well as the peripheral metabolic signals that regulate these brain circuits
• Knowledge and experience with molecular biology techniques and analysis including; RNA and DNA extraction techniques, Quantitative PCR, and Western Blot analysis
• Experience working on in vivo pharmacology, including metabolic phenotyping
• Experience working with tissues and cells from different species
• Histochemistry and analysis
Department NN OBESITY CENTER - SEATTLE
Position Location US - Seattle, WA
State/Provinces US - WA
Degree Required Bachelor's Degree Required
Percent Travel 0 - 10%
Novo Nordisk is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in applying for employment with Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please call the U.S. Toll Free number at 1-855-411-5290 or email NNIDisabilityAccommo@novonordisk.com with your request. Please note we do not accept applications for employment or employment related solicitations through this email address. If you are requesting special assistance, please specify your request in the body of your email. We will not be able to respond to requests unless you specify the need for special assistance or an accommodation in your message. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
Biology, Biotech, Cell Biology, Diabetes, Engineering, Healthcare, Laboratory, Medical, Medical Lab, Molecular Biology, Neurology, R&D, Research, Research Scientist, Science, Scientific, Scientist, Special Medicine