Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Summary/Scope: Celgene Biotherapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Associate Scientist. The successful candidate needs to have a strong background in molecular and cellular immune biology with experience in drug discovery. The qualified candidate will participate in testing novel antibody candidates in binding and functional assays in addition to performing mechanism-based in vitro studies. This candidate will adapt and implement existing or novel HTS platforms to assess target binders for functionality in relevant systems to support multiple programs at varying stages of antibody discovery. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated in a team environment are essential, as well as experience with multiple software applications for storing, processing and presenting data. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate the testing of incoming biologics for cellular target binding and related functional activity.
- Based on directions from supervisor, design and execute complex human cell based assays and mechanism of action studies. Also, perform routine and complex data analysis to triage leads for affinity maturation and lead selection.
- Isolate and expand human primary immune cell populations for in vitro functional assays.
- Apply biological assays for use in translational sciences
- Perform routine Biotherapeutics assays on identified antibody leads prior to DC nomination, including FcgR binding, effector function, and human cytokine release.
- Cross-trained in multiple flow cytometry platforms and high content imaging systems. Also have the capacity to assist colleagues in performing flow and imaging analysis.
Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with at least 6 years work experience or Master’s degree with at least 4 years work experience.
- Strong familiarity with multi-parameter flow cytometry analysis (surface/intracellular staining) using LifeTechnology Attune, BD Canto, Celesta, and FACsCalibur. Experience in Mirrorball cytometers or Operetta High Content Imaging system a plus.
- Proficiency with FlowJo, Prism, Microsoft office applications
- Expert understanding in tissue culture, human and cynomolgus immune cell isolations, and familiarity with gene reporter systems.
- Solid understanding of human lymphocyte and macrophage biology and cellular immunology.
- Familiarity in molecular and biochemistry techniques, including cell transfections, Western blotting, DNA manipulations, and qPCR analysis, are a plus.
- Familiarity in immunohistochemistry or immunofluorescence techniques a plus
- Fundamental knowledge and understanding of antibody discovery process is preferred.
Functional/Scientific/Technical Skills:• Ability to write protocols and technical reports with precision.• Contributes to experimental design.• Broadening knowledge and technical skills to increase department productivity.• Reviewing literature to get background of a project.• Convey data analysis and interpretation to supervisor and colleagues with clarity and a high level of accuracy. Tasks and Responsibilities:• Assist senior researchers and other scientists in executing, conducting analysis and reporting results.• Familiarity with literature and internal best practices to identify opportunities to improve productivity and quality of work.• Interprets data, troubleshoots and recommends corrective actions for routine problems. Discretion/Latitude:• Works relatively independently on assigned tasks.• Makes suggestions on improvements to existing tasks.• Assists colleagues on their field of expertise. Creativity and Problem Solving:• Goes beyond following procedures by seeking opportunities to improve efficiency and productivity.• Fix the unexpected potential problems.• Scientist at this level will differentiate themselves by creativity and innovation. Teamwork and Influence:• Communicates with peers and supervisors.• Contributes to the achievement of workgroup/team goals.• Contributes to some collaborative efforts. Organizational Impact:• Has a direct impact on workgroup performance.• Impact is achieved by driving workgroup results.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.