Intermountain Cancer Genomics (ICG) uses genetic mapping to develop personalized treatment options for cancer patients. Headquartered in St. George, Utah, we are able to analyze a patient's tumor DNA and identify mutations to determine why and how the tumor is growing, and most importantly, what can be done to treat it.
We offer a comprehensive service including DNA testing, results interpretation and drug procurement services. Inter mountain Cancer Genomics is comprised of a group of internationally renowned physicians and scientists with expertise in cancer genomics.
We are seeking a full-time associate scientist to join our laboratory team!
The incumbent will advance patient care by working on bioinformatic projects and provide data handling/analysis support and bioinformatics pipeline support to internal and external researchers. This position will be overseen by higher level contributors such as the senior and consultant professionals.
Under supervision, collaborates with assigned stakeholder groups (IS, Clinical Programs,
Clinical Services, SCO, etc.) in the evaluation, selection and adoption of both internally
developed and vended informatics solutions; in the recommendations for informatics-enhanced
workflows; and in the creation and documentation of the functional and technical informatics
designs needed to support clinical and business requirements.
Under supervision, assists in defining the informatics guiding principles and standards and is
responsible to champion them with all stakeholder groups.
Under mentoring, contributes to the theoretical/practical knowledge of medical information
standards (e.g. X12, HL7, ICD, etc.) and participates in and collaborates with external entities
including university affiliations.
Under mentoring, contributes in the identification of external opportunities to leverage
Intermountain’s intellectual property and to promote the use of Intermountain’s knowledge in
revenue generating solutions.
Under mentoring, is accountable to deliver results for area of responsibility. Regularly
communicates with staff and manages projects to ensure timely delivery within budget and according
to requirements. This includes goal setting and implementation and problem/issue resolution.
- An MS degree in computational biology or bioinformatics with three years in handling biological data or a BS degree and five years of informatics experience. Degree must be obtained through an accredited institution. Education is verified. (An internationally awarded degree may require
additional certification and/or years of experience.)
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology and clinical processes.
- Demonstrated proficiency in research and development.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing reports and scientific papers, and then presenting information to other groups.
Preferred Minimum Qualifications
- Demonstrated knowledge of data mining algorithms: Support vector machines, naïve bayes, neural networks, Cross validation methods, etc..
- Demonstrated proficiency in Unix/Linux scripting
- Demonstrated understanding and broad knowledge of omics data, including data processing, handling and analytics. Python scripting
- Experience with NLP (Natural Language processing)
- R scripting or use of another statistical software (STATA, SAS, etc.)
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of genome databases (particularly those relating to genome annotation, genetic variants, and metabolic pathways) and biological & statistical software packages (such as gene annotation programs, Plink, Plink/seq, BCFtools, SKAT (not required)) that are relevant for the study of computational genetics and genomics.
- Experience in large-scale analysis of next generation DNA sequencing data (e.g. whole exome and whole genome) as well as array based genotype data.
- Demonstrated knowledge of genetic statistics, Biocomputing and experience in handling high throughput genome sequence and genotype data.
- Hearing/listening, manual dexterity, seeing, speaking.
All positions subject to close without notice
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.