At Illumina, our goal is to apply innovative technologies to the analysis of genetic variation and function, making studies possible that were not even imaginable just a few years ago. It is mission critical for us to deliver innovative, flexible, and scalable solutions to meet the needs of our customers. As a global company, we strive to meet this challenge – we do this through placing high value on collaborative interactions, offering rapid delivery of solutions, and providing the highest level of quality. Illumina's innovative sequencing and array technologies are fueling groundbreaking advancements in life science research, translational and consumer genomics, and molecular diagnostics.
Basic Function and Scope of Position:
The Associate Director of Bioinformatics will be responsible for developing innovative and scalable data analysis solutions to extract biological meaning from next generation genomic data. You should have experience developing next generation sequencing data analysis methods for DNA and/or RNA sequence as well as software engineering expertise such as Java, Perl, Python programming experience; grid and/or cloud computing familiarity; database experience; is a definite advantage. You will have a strong background in computer science, algorithms, statistics, and/or digital signal processing. This pivotal position will collaborate with colleagues across Illumina’s R&D and marketing functions. You will manage a research team that is supporting research projects through development of early-stage pipelines and novel approaches to genomic data analysis. The ideal candidate will have a track record of both innovative and pragmatic bioinformatics methods development and delivery. You will be a proven team player with leadership skills and experience.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Leadership of the team and the project developing internal, research grade bioinformatics analysis pipelines
· Informatics technology assessment and scouting, both internal and external
· Collaboration with data producers and data consumers to ensure that the pipelines serve internal customer needs
· In addition to managing the immediate design and specification for pipeline improvements and technology choices, you will also work to anticipate transition of NGS data analysis to product development and, ultimately, the commercial lab, and employ technology choices and development practices that will simplify pipeline maturation
· Team development including individual team member coaching, goal setting, technical mentorship and enforcement of best practices
· This position is a People Leader position
· Other duties as assigned