Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
Illumina is seeking to appoint an Associate Director with vision and experience to lead a team focused on delivering sequencing data and libraries to internal customers from our fleet of Illumina sequencing instruments and ancillary equipment. The group consists of a core lab that provides a high quality high throughput service together with a group dedicated to system level product validation The successful candidate will combine impressive technical leadership, excellence in people management and commitment to the highest standards of program execution and customer care. Ability to understand and write test protocols They will have the ability to operate successfully, across time zones, within a highly collaborative environment. They will have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction.
This is a rare opportunity to take a leadership role within the team of Scientists and Engineers that help support the product development from all of Illumina’s business units and central development departments.
- Provide Technical Leadership & direction for a Core lab and Product Test Group.
- Manage a team comprising 10 Scientists and technical staff ranging from highly experienced PhDs with management responsibilities to recently qualified graduates.
- Establish credibility and influence with peers and senior staff across the organization using clear, concise and authoritative written and oral communications. Collaborate effectively across departments, sites and time zones, fostering a culture of trust, openness and accountability.
- Develop clear quality and quantity metrics
- Ability to write test plans and protocols to an auditable standard
- Maintain a fleet of sequencing instruments and ancillary equipment to manufacturing equivalent levels
- Mentor managers within the department and provide coaching to leaders within project teams from other departments.
- Manage departmental budgets & resource allocations and translate departmental strategies into staffing plans. Grow and evolve the team in response to the changing needs of the organization.
- Identify new capabilities, innovations, and technologies. Propose initiatives to implement new capabilities and lead, monitor and evaluate their success.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genomics, Biophysics or a related field.
- Proven industrial experience, ideally within companies that have a global footprint
- Significant experience with managing a core lab ideally in the area of Next Generation Sequencing
- Experience with leadership, management and development of teams of 10 or more scientists at all experience levels, ideally with a matrix management structure.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot overcome complex technical challenges presented by sequencing instruments.
- Strong data analysis skills, ideally including the use of DOE methodologies and statistical methods, and a proven ability to interpret large and complex datasets.
- Strong background in instrumentation, ideally with a good understanding of biochemistry and molecular biology
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines and to make progress with multiple project and functional priorities simultaneously.
- Experience in product validation
- Experience with the development of products for regulated markets (e.g. IVD) is highly desirable.
This role would suit a candidate that is looking to join a well-resourced, forward thinking organization that it is at the cutting edge of its industry. If you can combine technical credibility, leadership, strategic planning and execution then this rewarding role may be what you have been looking for.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf