Associate Director, Core lab and Product Test Group
(Next Generation DNA Sequencing Platforms – NGS/Liquid handling robots- V&V)
Full Time / Permanent, San Diego, California
Illumina is seeking to appoint an Associate Director with vision and experience to lead a team focussed on delivering sequencing data and libraries to internal customers from our fleet of Illumina sequencing instruments and ancillary equipment. The group consists of a core lab that provides a high quality high throughput service together with a group dedicated to system level product validation The successful candidate will combine impressive technical leadership, excellence in people management and commitment to the highest standards of program execution and customer care. Ability to understand and write test protocols They will have the ability to operate successfully, across time zones, within a highly collaborative environment. They will have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction.
This is a rare opportunity to take a leadership role within the team of Scientists and Engineers that help support the product development from all of Illumina’s business units and central development departments.
- Provide Technical Leadership & direction for a Core lab and Product Test Group.
- Manage a team comprising 10 Scientists and technical staff ranging from highly experienced PhDs with management responsibilities to recently qualified graduates.
- Establish credibility and influence with peers and senior staff across the organization using clear, concise and authoritative written and oral communications. Collaborate effectively across departments, sites and time zones, fostering a culture of trust, openness and accountability.
- Develop clear quality and quantity metrics
- Ability to write test plans and protocols to an auditable standard
- Maintain a fleet of sequencing instruments and ancillary equipment to manufacturing equivalent levels
- Mentor managers within the department and provide coaching to leaders within project teams from other departments.
- Manage departmental budgets & resource allocations and translate departmental strategies into staffing plans. Grow and evolve the team in response to the changing needs of the organization.
- Identify new capabilities, innovations, and technologies. Propose initiatives to implement new capabilities and lead, monitor and evaluate their success.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genomics, Biophysics or a related field.
- Proven industrial experience, ideally within companies that have a global footprint
- Significant experience with managing a core lab ideally in the area of Next Generation Sequencing
- Experience with leadership, management and development of teams of 10 or more scientists at all experience levels, ideally with a matrix management structure.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot overcome complex technical challenges presented by sequencing instruments.
- Strong data analysis skills, ideally including the use of DOE methodologies and statistical methods, and a proven ability to interpret large and complex datasets.
- Strong background in instrumentation, ideally with a good understanding of biochemistry and molecular biology
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines and to make progress with multiple project and functional priorities simultaneously.
- Experience in product validation
- Experience with the development of products for regulated markets (e.g. IVD) is highly desirable.
This role would suit a candidate that is looking to join a well-resourced, forward thinking organization that it is at the cutting edge of its industry. If you can combine technical credibility, leadership, strategic planning and execution then this rewarding role may be what you have been looking for.
All About Us
llumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments.
lllumina has experienced phenomenal growth from $10 million in revenues in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Forbes named Illumina #1 on the 2009 list of 25 Fastest-Growing Technology Companies in the United States, the second time over a three year period that Forbes ranked Illumina #1 on its list of rapidly growing technology companies. Illumina was also named #1 smartest company in the world as part of MIT’s 2014 Technology Review. As of January 2017, the company had a $23 billion market capitalization.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.