The Assistant Scientific Project Manager will provide support across the full range of sequencing operations at NYGC. This will include assisting senior project managers with day-to-day management of sequencing projects and working closely with the production lab, bioinformatics, PIs and other scientific staff to ensure timely deliverables of projects. In particular, this position will report into the lead Project Manager for NYGC’s Neurodegenerative Disease Research program and Enabling Innovation program. The majority of tasks for this position will involve projects in the Neurodegenerative Disease and Innovation space, including piloting new methods and large grant efforts. This is a great position for someone who would like to transition out of a sequencing lab into a project management focused role.
The incumbent will have the opportunity to work closely with senior project managers to learn NYGC’s sequencing operations from project initiation through data delivery. This will include familiarizing oneself, in great detail, with:
- NYGC’s sequencing production lines;
- Illumina HiSeq capabilities and operations;
- Bioinformatics capabilities;
- Software engineering and data delivery operations;
- Data usage and storage management.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Assist senior team members with day-to-day internal management of production projects, including sample tracking and project administration;
- Act as primary contact between production lab and project management team, including coordination of incoming projects and troubleshooting sample preparation and sequencing issues;
- Review initial client sample submissions QC and library QC to determine if NYGC acceptance criteria are met;
- Review sequencing run and data QC statistics, bringing issues to management and participating in subsequent troubleshooting;
- Assist senior Project Manager to liaise with NYGC ALS Consortium coordinators and members to effectively manage large datasets;
- Lead LIMS improvements and communicate updates to project management team;
- Track production lab and methods development protocol improvements and testing, draft presentations and/or white papers outlining testing and results;
- Represent project management team at incidents and correction actions (ICA) meetings;
- Information gathering for various reports/presentations (e.g. collecting QC metrics for specific library prep protocols).