Job Code: ABC HSA Req # 103782Job Summary
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Assistant Bioinformatics Coordinator provides supervisory and technical support to the Bioinformatics group of the Genome Sequence Centre (GSC). Ensures that the day-to-day activities of a large scale, high throughput facility meet research, data analysis throughput and software development objectives.
- Assists the Bioinformatics Coordinator in the day to day activities of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as providing input on quantity and quality of work, making recommendations for improvements, workflow and procedures.
- Coordinates projects of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as chairing project-specific meetings and provides project status reports to the Bioinformatics Coordinator, with suggestions towards any required improvement of project management, task allocation and overall process.
- Develops and implements assays to monitor project progress and measure project accomplishments to ensure that appropriate project focus is maintained and to provide feedback to staff.
- Provides supervisory support to the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as:
- Orientating new staff.
- Providing input to the Bioinformatics Coordinator on training requirements.
- Providing input to the Production Coordinator on the establishment of clear definitions of responsibility for employees.
- Assigning workload assignments and establishing work schedules.
- Reviewing and establishing work priorities and adjusting work schedules to ensure priorities are met.
- Completing performance reviews and addressing performance issues in conjunction with the Production Coordinator.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff through methods such as interviewing internal and external applicants and forwards hiring recommendations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of quality improvement programs to ensure services are provided in the most efficient and effective way by performing duties such as:
- Monitoring quality and quantity of service and information provided by the bioinformatics group and identifying areas for change and/or improvement.
- Generating test metrics to evaluate progress of research programs.
- Assesses practical needs for identified research direction of the GSC in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Coordinator and Analysis Group Leader.
- Participates in a variety of meetings by performing duties such as providing and/or receiving information and contributing to decision making.
- Participates, in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Coordinator, in determining the computer infrastructure necessary for successful completion of projects and ensured viability of research programs by performing duties such as providing input and recommendations regarding purchasing decisions related to hardware, software and related items for the Bioinformatics platform.
- Interprets statistical analyses and makes recommendations for review including preparing reports on statistical findings for publication and presentation in HTML format or as advised.
- Conducts feasibility studies for computerization by performing duties such as determining user requirements, examining and identifying problems with existing systems and recommending modifications to and/or new systems; provides details of estimated implementation costs including associated staffing requirements.
- Performs technical functions related to the bioinformatic functions of the GSC.
- Performs other related duties as required.