Applications Scientist – Genomics
Labcyte Inc. is the leader in low-volume liquid handling for the life sciences. We use acoustic droplet ejection technologies to provide highly accurate, fully automated, non-contact dispensing down to 2.5 nanoliters. This green technology provides significantly better analytical results while saving money. The Echo® product line’s ‘touchless’ technology provides dramatically better answers by eliminating pipette tips and the adsorption of compounds during transfer, while saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in decreased consumables. Accuracy and precision are maintained from first drop through last for a wide variety of fluids, including many considered intractable by other techniques. Labcyte’s award-winning Echo liquid handlers and laboratory automation solutions are used in all of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies, as well as in leading academic and research institutions worldwide. Labcyte technologies have broad applications including the fields of compound management, high-throughput screening, genomics, proteomics, particle manufacturing, encapsulation, imaging mass spectrometry, and live-cell transfer. Labcyte is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California with offices in Ireland and Japan, and has 46 U.S., 10 European and six Japanese patents and additional U.S. and international filings.
Labcyte seeks an energetic scientist to play a key role in the success of our business through the development and implementation of laboratory automation solutions in genomics, including research and clinical applications. This scientist will utilize their bench expertise, market knowledge and leadership skills to communicate the advantages of our product portfolio to cross functional teams and customers in written and presentation form.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Application Development, the Applications Scientist will work closely with customers and collaborators, field applications, marketing staff and R&D to identify, evaluate and develop new applications for all Labcyte products. Application areas of interest include:
- Genomics research
- Clinical genomics
- Agricultural Biology
- Synthetic Biology
A sound understanding of next generation sequencing technologies, cell-based genomic studies, and related methodologies is desired. Core understanding of human genetics, population study design and epidemiology with working knowledge of the genetics and genomics of immune disorders (preferred). Experience building and analyzing molecular interaction networks from genomic and genetic studies is preferred. The ability to communicate clearly, collaborate effectively and to build effective and trusted partnerships with internal and external scientists is required.
The Application Scientist will be expected to actively seek new applications appropriate for Labcyte technologies and business strategy and design and conduct experiments in the laboratory to test and optimize those applications on Labcyte platforms. These results will be expected to be published in internal sales documentation and external publications where appropriate, so strong technical writing skills are essential. The position will be based out of the company headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA
- Identify, run and optimize applications for Labcyte products.
- Prepare written materials highlighting technical product advantages for internal and external communications.
- Prepare application notes, journal publications, seminar presentations, performance comparisons, case studies, and other content types to support ongoing marketing efforts.
- Help define customer requirements along with meaningful and measurable application-based performance specifications to address them.
- Design and conduct validation experiments for product development projects.
- Identify potential collaborations that will help drive adoption of Labcyte technology, and participate in all aspects of the collaboration lifecycle.
- Actively foster and develop a network of industry thought leaders to assist in the identification of trends and opportunities, translating them into compelling product and application opportunities for Labcyte.
- Work with field applications team to track, evaluate and develop application opportunities arising from interactions with customers.
- Requires an advanced degree in genetics, molecular biology or similar
- Prefer a minimum of 8-10 years laboratory experience developing applications for laboratory instrumentation in a commercial environment.
- Knowledge of automated liquid handling, automation and robotic laboratory equipment
- Strong leadership and relationship-building skills
Labcyte Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional problem-solving ability.
- High degree of customer focus.
- Occasional travel up to 30% will be required.
Location: In-house position based in Sunnyvale, CA.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies.
To apply, please fill out the application form by clicking “APPLY” above or send resume to [email protected] and reference “Job ID #191” in the subject line.