We are looking for a highly motivated, independent but team-oriented Applications Scientist with strong expertise in Molecular Biology, specifically Next-Generation Sequencing and an interest in Automation and Process Engineering. Application Scientists work closely with production, development and clinical teams to develop, optimize and test new protocols on liquid handling robotics and other laboratory automation equipment to help meet demands of a growing laboratory. Prior experience with Hamilton automation is preferred, however, we will provide training to enhance and build automation engineering skills for systems such as the Hamilton Star or Perkin Elmer Sciclone robotics.
Job duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Develop, optimize and implement automated assays to increase throughput and efficiencies in the laboratories;
- Help create new automation programs on the Hamilton Star to meet evolving needs for new protocols and scaling sample throughput;
- Analyze current process procedures and provide feedback for their optimization and improvement;
- Calibrate, maintain and repair a variety of laboratory instruments, including liquid handling robotics;
- Provide real-time support for equipment with hardware/software issues during live runs;
- Install and implement new equipment. Perform User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and/or Installation/Operational Qualification Testing (IQ/OQ), if necessary;
- Train Lab Technicians on instrument use and automated protocols;
- Author and update SOPs for automated processes;
- Evaluate new equipment, software and automated solutions to help with purchasing decisions.