At Affymetrix, we are passionate about enabling our customers, scientists, and clinicians to improve human health and wellness by understanding and applying biology for a better world. Our employees bring talent, creativity, collaboration, and energy to what they do. Join us at Affymetrix and make a difference.
This position will represent scientists running and analyzing Affymetrix data during the informatics development process. As such the candidate will have hands on experience with SNP and/or gene expression studies. Most importantly they must have a solid understanding of the biological interpretation of the data obtained from these studies. The position is directly accountable for planning and prioritizing functionality in both instrumentation and analysis software. This includes creation of customer requirements documents and the development of test cases and data sets for use by the development team. The position is directly accountable for understanding microarray workflows and understanding common analysis workflows commonly used by customers.
PERSONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Represent Scientists during development of bioinformatics and software tools to process and analyze microarray data.
* Produce, edit, and maintain software requirements documents for Affymetrix instrumentation software applications and either expression or genotyping applications at a software-industry best practices level. Documents focus on use cases, storyboards, actor scripts, data-flow diagrams, UI mock ups and other tools representing how scientists interact with Affymetrix’ software applications and their data in their studies to be used for technical design and software test protocols.
* Create and curate sample data sets for use during development and testing of the new applications with an emphasis on identifying both typical and boundary cases.
* Handle escalated technical support issues. Translate all support issues into prioritized requirements. Curate customer data sets and identify example cases for training and marketing purposes.
* Coordinate reviews of specifications with internal and external stakeholders in the context of broader customer scientific objectives and business requirements.
* Assist in educating and supporting customers, partners, tech support and field personnel with various written and recorded communications and external meetings as needed.
* Prioritize and schedule customer contacts and evaluations.
* Travel requirements likely 15%.
* PhD/MD in a Biomedical discipline. Equivalent hands on lab experience may be considered adequate.
* At least 6 years’ experience in Life Sciences (graduate work qualifies) with hands-on experience with either large-scale genome wide association studies or Affymetrix instrument platform. Experience with Affymetrix products and/or bioinformatics preferred.
* Broad understanding of the experimental design for either expression or genotyping studies. This is should include familiarity with the technical details from a laboratory operations and an IT perspective, and experience with downstream analysis applications.
* Strong initiative and ability to take ownership of challenging problems involving disparate parties. Demonstrated problem solving skills in situations involving conflicting constraints and pressure.
* Clearly demonstrated communication skills (written and oral).
Affymetrix, Inc., (NASDAQ:AFFX) is a pioneer in creating breakthrough tools that are driving the genomic revolution. We provide leadership and support, partnering with customers in pharmaceutical, diagnostic, and biotechnology companies, as well as leading academic, government, and non-profit research institutes in their quest to use biology for a better world. More than 2,300 microarray systems have been shipped around the world, and more than 94,000 publications have referenced Affymetrix technologies. Affymetrix is headquartered in Santa Clara, California, and has manufacturing facilities in Cleveland, Ohio, San Diego, California, Singapore, and Vienna, Austria. We have approximately 1,100 employees worldwide and maintain sales and distribution operations across Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment and are committed to supporting their aspirations and achievements. We recognize that our strength and competitive advantage lie within providing meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking, and work-life balance. Our competitive total rewards programs (e.g., compensation, benefits, development, etc.) reflect our high regard for our employees. For more information about Affymetrix, please visit www.affymetrix.com.
Affymetrix is an EEO/AA Employer of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity