10x Genomics is looking for an outstanding scientist to join its Applications Development group. The scientist must have a passion for innovating new applications that use Next Generation Sequencing technologies to drive discovery and improve human health. He/she must be able to learn quickly, creatively solve problems, and have a deep understand of NGS technologies, and should have experience with performing and analyzing sequence alignments, for both genomic and RNA based analyses. Additionally, the candidate must have strong data analysis skills. The ideal candidate will have a PhD in either population genomics, cancer genomics or clinical genomics.
- Work with key scientists to develop new applications that take advantage of 10x genomics’ products
- Analyze data for a variety of applications, including variant identification, assembly assessment and metagenomics applications.
- Develop scientific materials to be used in webinars or other platforms to highlight the advantages of the 10x genomics platform.
- Work with core product development teams to improve products and enable novel applications as driven by the scientific community.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD or equivalent in genomics, cancer genomics or clinical genomics.
- Extensive experience analyzing large sequencing data sets using Python or R
- Solid knowledge of commonly used tools (BWA, GATK, FreeBayes, etc)
- Solid knowledge of commonly used formats such as BAM, VCF and GFF3.
- Proficiency with the command line and source control.
- Deep understanding of the NGS applications space, particularly as related to human health (e.g., sequencing applied to RNA, cancer, immune repertoire, single cells)
- Experience with existing NGS platforms (e.g., Illumina, Ion Torrent, PacBio, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to trouble-shoot complex problems and to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- An eagerness to dramatically improve NGS tools
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills demonstrated with peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations
- Demonstrated ability to maintain relationships with customers or external collaborators
Desired Skills and Background
- Understanding of statistical methods used in RNA sequencing experiments
- Experience with NGS-related products such as Agilent SureSelect target capture, Ion AmpliSeq, Fluidigm single cell sequencing, etc.
- Experience with DNA and/or RNA extraction methods
- Deep knowledge of RNA or cellular biology in cancer or immunology contexts
- Experience with other laboratory assays including real-time PCR, droplet digital PCR
- Understanding of gene editing methods including CRISPR