Cures Start Here.
At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch's pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation's first and largest cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women's Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network.
Careers Start Here.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Sr. Administrative Director for the Therapeutic Products Program (TPP). This individual will work semi-autonomously while overseeing TPP's day-to-day operations. Energetic and enthusiastic and dedicated to life-saving research, the needed skills and expertise for this position require performing human resources, financial and operational planning for the department, while engaging strong interpersonal skills in aiding principal investigators, resource managers/supervisors and staff, in working in collaborative ways with other center investigators, user committees, and center administrative departments.
The Administrative Manager works independently under the direction of the Sr. Administrative Director. The manager uses judgment and discretion carrying out broad responsibilities in human resources, billing, in interpreting and implementing department/projects(s)/program and Center policies and procedures withing existing framework. This position may include supervisory responsibilities. Judgment is used daily in interpreting policy, troubleshooting issues, representing the department, and in interacting with all levels of Fred Hutch staff and outside organizations.
May perform some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate with Human Resources on all employee personnel activities for over 40 employees including submission of employement requisitions, salary administration, staffing, payroll, separations, coordination of performance evaluations, and other various personnel forms.
- Oversee billing operations for the 6 TPP departments with annual billing exceeding $5 million. Ensure timely posting of charges and accurate reporting. Interact with Accounting and Finance to oversee billing and other fiscal activities including customer set up, processing credit cards, resolving financial adjustments, collections, records maintenance, and reporting.
- Coordinate and prepare new grant applications, contracts and service agreements. Gather data, asemble proposals, reviewing for accurance and completion prior to submission.
- Liason with Shared Resources to assist with the coordination of department space and facilities planning, administer changes as necessary and review, evaluate, and anticipate space and facilities needs.
- Coordinate planning, production, printing and distribution of department communications including surveys, newsletters, emergency contacts, and manuals.
- Coordinate special events, conference bookings, poster sessions and meeting schedules. Present/train at Outreach/Brown bags.
- Develop, recommend and implement policies and procedures related to improving program administration and standard operating procedures.
- Perform complex administrative responsibilities including collection and compilation of a variety of billing and statistical information and report and preparation of correspondence, manuscripts and publications.
- Prepare the monthly income/expense reporting and the quarterly budget to actual reporting to the resource managers and the Sr. Administrative Director, Sr. Scientific Director and Chief Operating Officer. Also perform investigation and analysis of significant variances at a project level. Review reporting needs with Sr. Admin Director annually to ensure reporting meets the needs of the resource managers.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual budget for each TPP deparment for the Center's annual budget process.
- Utilize multiple systems on a daily basis for Human Resources activities, billing, finance and other administrative tasks.
- Assist Operations Manger with special projects. Perform other responsibilities as needed.
- Supervise administrative and office staff including hiring, training, delegation of responsibilities, performance evaluations, and handling disciplinary issues.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Six years of progressively complex administrative experience.
- Working knowledge of financial information and related operational statistics.
- Extensive fiscal/budgetary and operations management experience
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft suite, Peoplesoft and proficiency with a variety of software packages.
- Experience in billing and budget preparation.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills required.
- Must have strong intitiative, attention to detail, problem solving and follow through.
- Must have strong customer service skills and excellent communication skills to effectively work with all levels of staff, both internally and externally.
- Willingness to learn additional departmental computer and software technologies.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects and communicate status of projects to key decision makers on a proactive basis.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE