Senior Shipping & Receiving Clerk
One Bungtown Road
Cold Spg Hbr, NY 11724
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is looking for a Senior Shipping and Receiving Clerk in the Procurement department. The Senior Shipping and Receiving clerk will assist the Manager with the receipt / distribution of incoming shipments, and the processing of outbound shipments. This role is responsible for the delivery of inbound shipments to the designated drop off locations throughout the Laboratory buildings and turns in / files signed delivery receipts at the end of the day. Also, this role will prepare outbound shipments and required documentation for the shipments along with arranging carrier pick-ups.
· Leads and directs a team of Shipping & Receiving Clerks in the receipt / distribution of incoming shipments, and the processing of outbound shipments at the direction of the Manager, Shipping & Receiving.
· Picks up incoming mail from local U.S. Postal facility.
· Sorts / routes incoming mail, distributes mail to Laboratory buildings, and collects outgoing mail for processing.
· Verify that outgoing mail is addressed correctly and in suitable condition for processing.
· Determine manner in which mail is to be sent, weigh letters or packages to determine postage needed (using weighing scales and rate charts), and affix postage to letters or packages using an automated postal machine or by hand.
· Sort processed outgoing mail / packages by carrier type and prepare them for delivery to U.S. Postal service or for carrier pick up.
· Deliver processed outgoing mail to local U.S. Postal facility.
· Transfer outgoing packages to designated carriers.
· Assist customers with packing and shipping Laboratory related shipments and / or personal items.
· Receives incoming shipments (packages and / or truck shipments) to the Laboratory.
· Processes / verifies inbound receipts by reviewing bill of lading and / or packing slips.
· Sorts / routes inbound receipts for distribution to Laboratory buildings or for put-away in warehouse storage locations.
· Records inbound receipt data in “Daily Receiving Log” database system for recordkeeping purposes.
· Picks and stages “Fulfillment Orders” for distribution to internal customers.
· Loads delivery vehicles (vans and trucks) for the distribution of the inbound shipments.
· Requisition and store shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock.
· Performs other receiving and shipping related functions as directed by the Manager, Shipping & Receiving and / or VP, Chief Procurement Officer
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
For immediate consideration, please apply for this position online at:
For more information about CSHL, please visit us at https://www.cshl.edu
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: A minimum of 3 year’s experience in a receiving or mail room environment with a focus on customer service.
Other: A valid Driver’s license
· Leadership techniques
· Knowledge of mailroom/receiving operations
· Attention to detail and organizational skills
· Customer service and needs assessment skills
How to Apply
About Our Organization
Founded in 1890, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics, and bioinformatics. CSHL is a private, not-for-profit institution in New York and has been home to eight Nobel Prize winners. Today, CSHL’s multidisciplinary scientific community is bolstered by more than 600 researchers and its Scientific Meetings & Courses Program, which hosts more than 9,000 scientists from around the world each year on its campus. Website: https://www.cshl.edu