Senior Mechanical Engineer
6965 Lusk Blvd
San Diego, CA 92121
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing a unique long-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the PacBio team.
We are seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer to support the research, design and development of complex mechanisms pertaining to product-critical subsystems. This position will involve working within a collaborative team environment designing and documenting product solutions to meet customer needs. The successful candidate should possess a strong aptitude for creative design, be resourceful, detail oriented, and work comfortably within a cross-functional team environment.
- Research, concept generation, development, design and detailing of mechanical subsystems and components.
- Analysis and optimization of mechanical subsystems through form, fit, function, tolerance stack, prototyping and benchtop testing.
- Collaborate with Engineering team on overall instrument design including subsystem bread board design, prototyping, and system testing.
- Design and develop tools, fixtures, process to assist in the product and systems development.
- Support of instruments build and installment of designs to ensure compliance with engineering specifications.
- Collaborate with external partners and vendors in design, sourcing, and timely delivery of parts.
- Generate detail drawings for manufacturing and inspection of parts.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering with 8 years of related work experience.
- Experience in manufacturing processes: Rapid prototyping, machining, injection molding, sheet metal, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical engineering design principles and practices - Form, fit, tolerance stack analysis, GD&T, drafting standards, FEA, design for assembly, design for manufacturing, etc.
- Proficient in 3D modeling software - SolidWorks required.
- Experience with PDM and revision control systems.
- Strong hands on experience and problem-solving skills are required.
- Experience with product development processes is required.
- Working experience of bio-instrument and devices is desired.
- Must be able to work independently as well as a team player.
ATTITUDE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.