6965 Lusk Blvd
San Diego, CA 92121
We are seeking a Principal Scientist to accelerate the development of our proprietary sequencing technology. The successful candidate will have experience in PCR and molecular biology techniques, a working knowledge of automated systems and experience in next-generation sequencing methods and technologies. This position will also require an ability to work cross-functionally with bioinformatics, engineering, and manufacturing departments.
- The Principal Scientist will carefully design and execute laboratory experiments, including creating DNA libraries derived from genomic DNA, targeted panels, creating sequencing features, sequencing the features and data analysis.
- The Principal Scientist will work with cross-functional teams to develop a NGS system that may include the design of an automated system to perform on-surface biochemistry, a sequencing instrument and any work associated with this development effort.
- The ideal candidate can collaborate and contribute to a close working relationship with the bioinformatics, engineering, manufacturing, and chemistry functions to analyze and compare large data sets from various experiments. The candidate will design, execute, interpret and summarize experiments to prepare for the next steps.
- The Principal Scientist will perform research into novel and innovative technologies for the development of multiple generations of sequencing platforms.
- The Principal Scientist will contribute to the overall success of the technology through patents and/or scientific publications.
- The Principal Scientist will lead and train Associate Scientists/Research Associates.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular/Cell Biology or a related field with ≥ 10 years industry experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with molecular techniques and with a deep understanding of biochemical mechanisms.
- Working knowledge and experience with modern nucleic acid sequence analysis and other bioinformatics tools is desired.
- Experience with fluidic systems and the development of biochemistry workflows on an automated system is highly desired.
- Experience with optimizing benchtop protocols for use in an automated system is highly desired.
- Experience working with library preparation, isothermal amplification and some understanding of surface covalent chemistry is an advantage.
- Experience with JMP, Geneious, and Python is advantage.
ATTITUDE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly cross-functional team.
- Must have experience managing a small team of individuals.
- We desire a candidate that is open to change, highly innovative and a creative thinker.
- Stand or sit for extended periods of time. Working in front of a computer or in the laboratory performing experiments.
- Ability to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects.
- Repeat the same movements.
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away.
- See differences between colors, shades and brightness.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.