6965 Lusk Blvd
San Diego, CA 92121
We are seeking a Scientist II to accelerate the research and development efforts of our next generation sequencing platform. The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge and experience with molecular biology and biochemistry techniques, next-generation sequencing methods and automated systems. This position will also require an ability to work cross-functionally with bioinformatics, engineering, and manufacturing departments.
- The Scientist will design and execute laboratory experiments using a variety assays and other techniques. These may include generating DNA libraries for NGS applications, various DNA amplification techniques, fluorescence microscopy, and reagent development.
- The Scientist will work with team leads to contribute input into the design of experiments and data interpretation as part of a cross-functional team.
- The ideal candidate can collaborate with members of the bioinformatics, engineering, manufacturing, and chemistry teams to analyze and compare large data sets from various experiments, summarize, interpret, present data, and design experiments for the next steps.
- She/he will contribute to the overall success of the technology through patents or scientific publications.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular/Cell Biology, Bioengineering or a related field with >2 years of postdoctoral or industry experience; or MS with >7 years of industry experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with molecular techniques, biochemical mechanisms for enzymes, NGS library preparation and multiple DNA amplification techniques.
- Working knowledge and experience with modern nucleic acid sequence analysis and other bioinformatics tools is desired.
- Experience with fluidic systems and the development of biochemistry workflows on an automated system is an advantage.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly cross-functional team.
- Experience with Excel, ImageJ, JMP, Geneious, and Python is advantage.
ATTITUDE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills will facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Willingness to be collaborate and learn from colleagues outside their field of expertise.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem solving.
- Able to interpret complex information and provide others with a clear and concise description.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory environment for several hours at a time.
- Prolonged periods of computer work required for data analysis and other duties.
- Able to lift and move up to 50 Lbs.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.