2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Buyer III
Reports To: Manager, Materials
FLSA Class: Exempt
The Buyer III role is responsible for obtaining material, product and services by executing company purchase orders through the company ERP system. Follow up with vendors to ensure deliveries are on time. Managing and updating of the Approved Supplier List. This position will manage the Supplier Management process and will ensure that tasks are planned, executed, reviewed and documented per the work instruction.
The Buyer III is responsible all for reporting all supplier management performance metrics and meeting activities.
The Buyer III role is office-based.
- Comply with all company purchasing policies and procedures.
- Process purchase requisitions and convert to purchase orders using the ERP system as required.
- May process purchase requisitions for international affiliates and manage through fulfillment which may require the use of business database(s) to process requests.
- Verify that open purchase orders are closed accurately, credits and returns processed according to company procedures and timely completion of all activities.
- May approve supplier invoices to verify delivery of goods or services ordered under the purchasing.
- Collaborate with suppliers to accept TBUSA credit terms and limit the use of credit card purchases.
- Identifies, reconciles and resolves supplier delivery requirements, material shortages or non-technical quality improvements.
- Daily communication with internal customers, affiliates and suppliers on material and service deliveries.
- Review out of stock materials and takes appropriate action with internal departments or suppliers.
- Negotiate costs, credits, and/or discounts from suppliers following proper approval processes.
- Responsible for supplier management processes and chairs supplier management team meetings.
- Oversees the accuracy of supplier master data in ERP: approved supplier list, supplier folders, supplier ratings, and generation of supplier scorecards.
- Ability to set, track and measure key metric goals on supplier performance: delivery, quality, cost.
- Point person for supplier management and purchasing during internal and external audits.
- Continuously look to improve supply sources, specifically focused on delivery, pricing and quality.
- Negotiate product costs, discounts, delivery terms or purchase confirmations to help draft supply agreements. Works with Corporate Development on final agreements.
- Subject matter expert in ERP system and can identify, recommend and initiate improvements to purchasing and supplier management functions.
- Generates test scenarios for new ERP customization.
- Works collaboratively with other departments on the maintenance of other relevant ERP master data: item master notes, item cost, safety stock, EEO and other order modifiers.
- May support management with costing analysis and yearly cost roll process.
- Train and mentor staff on purchasing and supplier management functions.
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth analysis.
- Exercises good judgment and demonstrates sense of urgency.
- Excellent collaboration, communication and presentation skills (both written and verbal).
- Adheres to quality system protocols.
- Maintains documentation for areas of responsibility.
- This position serves in a lead role but does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- B.S. in Business required.
- APICS training desired.
- Buyer experience in a manufacturing environment necessary.
- Background in Life Sciences or significant experience purchasing chemicals & reagents.
- Must be proficient in EXCEL, Oracle E-Business or similar ERP system experience required.
- Minimum 7 years prior relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with managing supplier management processes, creating scorecards and reporting performance metrics.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong planning, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.