Scientist (Immunology and NK Cells)
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Scientist (Immunology and NK Cells)
Reports to: Director, Cell Biology R&D
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
Takara Bio USA is looking for a highly energetic, collaborative, independent thinker and self-starting Scientist to join the Cell Biology group. One focus of the group is the development of products and technologies in the area of viral delivery as well as CRISPR Cas9 genome editing. The group wants to expand the use of those technologies for immune cell therapy with a focus on NK cell-based therapy approaches. It also includes product development efforts in the area of NK cell culture, expansion and manipulation.
The successful candidate will be working hands on in the lab to invent, design, implement, and validate technologies and develop them into products of high commercial value. As a Scientist in the Cell Biology group, you will contribute to the future of Takara Bio’s strategic and scientific planning. An innovative and driven mind is required to succeed in this position.
The Scientist will work primarily in the lab designing and conducting experiments to move projects through all stages of research and development from initial proof of concept through product launch and application development, working with other colleagues in R&D, Engineering, Marketing and Operations.
The Scientist role is lab-based at our new facility in San Jose CA.
Approximately 5% travel, including overnight, may be required.
- Plans, schedules, and conducts experiments at the bench for one or more projects, exhibiting good experimental design, data summary and interpretation, and clear report preparation.
- Works to ensure projects are completed according to specifications and within set deadlines under guidance from senior scientists and Marketing.
- Learns to draft SOPs, user manuals, technical notes and other related technical documents with assistance from senior scientists, Marketing and Operations teams.
- Identifies potential new product needs for NK cell immune therapy based on assessment of customer demand, market trends, and competitor analysis with help from Marketing and more senior researchers in the group.
- Serves as a resource to R&D and other departments within the organization, including Product Management and Operations – especially during product development and launch.
- May represent R&D at scientific meetings or in front of customers – typically by presenting posters.
- May support Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a Ph.D. in cell biology with a focus on immunology with 2-5 years of postdoctoral and/or industrial experience.
- Experience in NK cell related immunology and/or NK cell immunotherapy is required.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts with specialized skills in a specific area, not simply knowledge of techniques.
- Strong interest in technology development and translating scientific ideas into novel applications and products.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills, including excellent attention to detail.
- Collaborative personality with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.