230 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
About the Company
Talis aims to transform diagnostic testing by developing and commercializing innovative products that are designed to enable accurate, reliable, low cost and rapid molecular testing for infectious diseases and other conditions at the point-of-care. While timely diagnosis of infectious diseases is critically important to enable effective treatment, testing is primarily performed in centralized laboratories, which require samples to be shipped for processing, delaying the return of results by days. Point-of-care testing solves this problem by delivering the timely information necessary for clinical care.
We are developing the Talis One platform, a sample-to-answer, cloud-enabled molecular diagnostic platform that, once authorized, could be rapidly deployed to distributed diagnostic settings in the United States and around the world to diagnose infectious disease at the point-of-care. The Talis One platform comprises a compact instrument, single-use test cartridges and software, including a central cloud database, which work together and are designed to provide central laboratory levels of accuracy and be operated by an untrained user.
Talis has raised more than $500 million in the past twelve months, including a $254 million IPO. We are actively preparing for our initial product launch that tests for COVID-19 and a rapid commercial and operations scale-up.
Summary of Position
As Talis has grown, we have a new role that has been identified as a Lab Manager. You will be an integral member of our Assay Research team. You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of our lab. This is a great opportunity for someone that wants to be a part of a growing mission-driven company. As our lab manager, you will have the unique opportunity to make recommendations and implement changes to our lab infrastructure and implement processes that will optimize the productivity of our lab. You are expected to upkeep the cleanliness and internal organization of the laboratory space to keep all scientific processes running smoothly and create a productive work environment for our team.
- Understand major laboratory activities and ensure efficient and effective lab operations.
- Ensure smooth and continuous lab operations by monitoring inventory levels and anticipating and preparing for laboratory needs.
- Place, receive and organize all orders for multiple departments of our company. Update tracking information, expected time of arrival and resolve any delays for ordered materials.
- Ensure compliance with laboratory guidelines and policies.
- Conduct laboratory personnel training; instruct research assistants, research associates and others to adhere to safe practices and protocols.
- Arrange for equipment replacement, services, preventative maintenance, and repairs.
- Work with Facilities and the RD team and use creative problem-solving skills to modify floor plans and accommodate new equipment if needed.
- Ensure the correct handling, storage and disposal of hazardous and biohazardous waste.
- Coordinate schedules for equipment use.
- Schedule general safety and biosafety trainings, yearly practice fire drills and track safety training compliance for the entire company.
- Maintain inventory of clinical specimens and strain collection.
- Proactively identify new vendors, conduct product research and produce price comparisons to ensure that we are getting competitive pricing and using the best products for our work
- Check-in regularly with all scientists to ensure they have the tools they need to complete their experiments.
- Assist our scientists with their specific needs by serving as the liaison for all contact between our vendors/ suppliers and our scientists.
- Maintain organization of laboratory workspaces, storage cabinets, fridges and freezers in order to improve the laboratory workflow. Coordinate with Facilities and cleaning contractors to maintain lab cleanliness.
Qualifications, Education, Certification/Licensing & Experience:
- BA, BS, or MS in Molecular Biology, Genetics, or related life sciences field.
- 2-5 years of related experience with molecular biology laboratory techniques in a regulated laboratory environment is required.
- This position manages day-to-day laboratory operations to ensure proper functioning of the laboratory.
- Experience with tools to maintain inventory and laboratory management systems is preferred.
- You have worked in a lab setting (academic or industry).
- You are organized, detail-oriented, methodical, thorough and can handle multiple tasks at once.
- You are comfortable with “getting it done”. No task is too large or too small.
- You are dedicated to helping our team of scientists carry out their experiments and accomplish their goals.
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Talis offers a comprehensive health and well-being benefits programs, long-term equity incentives, time-off policies, a 401(k) retirement savings plan with an immediate Company match, Education Assistance Program, a rotating suite of snacks, Monday breakfasts, Happy Hours, other fun company events and more! Best of all, join us by working at a growing company like Talis with dedicated and collaborative employees committed to making a difference in Health Care.
Talis is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.