Senior Data Systems Architect
9310 Athena Circle
La Jolla, CA 92037
The Senior Data Systems Architect will be responsible for designing and implementing a robust data management architecture that enables the efficient capture, analysis, governance, and dissemination of data and information for all teams within the R&D group. They will work especially closely with the research and engineering teams in the R&D group to understand and support their data management needs reliably and creatively, using up-to-date best-in-class tools and approaches. The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment and use their experience and creativity to support the mission of creating industry-defining biomanufacturing technologies that will improve access to the next generation of complex medicines.
- Architect and implement software tools for efficient research operations (e.g. ELN, LIMS, MES, data pipelines and task queues), developing custom code where needed to accommodate needs not provided by vendor software or the Resilience digital infrastructure
- Architect, deploy, and maintain research data operations systems including data capture tools (vendor-driven or custom, as appropriate), design data flow paths, schemas, and interfaces, and ensure that a single source of truth exists, is traceable, and is fully backed - through tools internal to R&D or furnished by the Resilience Digital team
- Create and maintain software systems and interfaces over time that furnish data to relevant teams and users (e.g. research, engineering, business operations), potentially tied to one or more business intelligence tools (e.g. tableau)
- Lead the selection, planning and design of new digital systems & tools and their integration with systems already in use within the research organization
- Assist in building, maintaining and communicating the research system implementation roadmap and oversee its execution
- Work closely with scientists, bioinformaticists, and engineers to develop and support robust research data management workflows and tools, and ensure appropriate data governance and documentation
- Work with research organization stakeholders to build buy-in and increase usage of systems by understanding user needs and designing against them
- Develop and maintain internal documentation for research systems, tools, and interfaces in use in the research organization
- Develop and implement training for research systems and tools used in the research organization
- Work closely with Resilience Digital team to coordinate implementation of company-wide data operations systems and tools in the context of users and systems in the research organization
- Recruit and manage a team of developers and data scientists to implement the research data systems infrastructure using an agile approach.
- A solid understanding of data management and data governance approaches and tooling required to support an advanced biological research environment
- Strong object-oriented coding ability and good software development practices; ability to develop codebases in Python, R, and to learn or use other languages as needed
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of standard and proprietary data formats, familiar with database selection, schema design, and query structures (e.g. SQL, GraphQL)
- Ability to remain knowledgeable of ongoing developments in data standards, best coding practices and SDLC, bioinformatics tools/databases/applications, cloud computing, and DevOps approaches
- Demonstrated clear, concise, and effective written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated success in collaborating in a fast-paced team environment and delivering high-quality software products using established agile development methodologies
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and work independently and as a multidisciplinary analytical research team member in a fast-paced environment.
- The initiative, curiosity, a bias for action, and a problem-solving attitude, and desire to bring innovative, simplified solutions to complex problems
- BSc/MS: 8+ years of relevant experience or Ph.D.: 5+ years of relevant experience, in a relevant field (e.g.: computer science, engineering, library science, information science, bioinformatics, computational neuroscience)
- Experience designing and/or implementing FAIR-compliant federated / distributed data ecosystems
- Experience enabling and assisting non-technical users to gain insight into research data
- Experience interfacing directly with a variety of laboratory equipment data acquisition systems.
- Experience in developing and deploying customer-facing software in cloud environments (e.g. Amazon AWS, Azure Cloud, Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience working with modern RDBMS and No-SQL/graph databases
- Experience in designing and developing container-based software services
- Experience working with biological knowledge graphs is a plus
How to Apply
About Our Organization
RESILIENCE (National Resilience, Inc.) is a first-of-its-kind manufacturing and technology company dedicated to broadening access to complex medicines and protecting biopharmaceutical supply chains against disruption. Founded in 2020, the company is building a sustainable network of high-tech, end-to-end manufacturing solutions to ensure the medicines of today and tomorrow can be made quickly, safely, and at scale. RESILIENCE will offer the highest quality and regulatory capabilities, and flexible and adaptive facilities to serve partners of all sizes. By continuously advancing the science of biopharmaceutical manufacturing and development, RESILIENCE frees partners to focus on the discoveries that improve patients’ lives.