Director, Data Science
9310 Athena Circle
La Jolla, CA 92037
As the Director of Data Science, you will be collaborating with others in Resilience to develop analytical solutions, where you will architect, develop, and test our in-house development solutions supporting personalized medicine. This role will be a crucial team contributor applying extensive knowledge of design principles and practices in implementing complex analytical applications and deep learning solutions. General responsibilities include design concept generation, participating in and leading design reviews, developing and testing the product stack. This role is a high-impact technical lead role where you will collaborate across engineering and research teams and provides an opportunity to strategically lead the architecture, roadmap, implementation, and coaching of data scientist managers in the execution and development of analytical solutions.
Resilience is looking for intelligent motivated data scientists who enjoy taking on complex challenges, work well in an agile, dynamic environment, and care about high-quality engineering best practices.
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the Data Science organization.
- Leads architecture and strategy that pilots and implements efficient, cutting-edge technology on new platforms, including statistical analysis, intelligent process optimization, ML modeling, and digital twin development.
- Recruits talent (contract and/or full time) and builds high-performance teams, mentors, and coaches’ personnel.
- Create innovative solutions utilizing digital twins and applying artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) technologies for cell and gene therapy solutions.
- Oversee project execution (resourcing, planning, and delivery) and guides the organization through changing market /product needs and requirements
- Collaborates with the research scientists and engineering teams towards optimizing our workflows, assays, and instruments.
- Provides data science subject matter expertise in the planning and execution of cell and gene therapy projects that require advanced analytics methods, ensuring the maximum value is realized for data generated.
- Provide in-depth statistical and data analytical expertise across the organization by collaborating with Research, Development, Quality, Manufacturing, and Sciences Teams.
- Work with Quality Engineering group to ensure that the team follows appropriate GMP, design history file (DHF), device history record (DHR) guidelines per FDA requirements, and support design reviews according to product development procedures.
- Hands-on experience in building and managing teams focused on providing data science solutions for scientific workflows and instruments.
- Expert in machine learning methodologies (regression, classification, and unsupervised approaches) as well as experience with Deep Learning-based techniques
- Expert in Python, Spark, and knowledge of ML frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch.
- Experience operating in AWS cloud environment and tools like SageMaker, Lambda, Athena, Redshift, S3
- Demonstrated ability to set goals, perform long-term project planning, team building, budgeting, and operational excellence
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and inspire a high-capacity technical team.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully execute responsibilities in a fast-paced environment, collaborating across multiple sites and stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally across various technical disciplines with a broad slate of stakeholders, including management, peers, customers, and suppliers.
- The initiative, curiosity, a bias for action, and a problem-solving attitude, and desire to bring innovative, simplified solutions to complex problems
- Some background knowledge in computational biology, immunology, wet-lab experimental procedures, and data analysis is a plus.
- BSc/MS: 15+ years of experience or Ph.D.: 13+ years of experience in a quantitative field, e.g., computer science, mechanical, or electrical engineering
- Minimum of 8 years experience managing a team.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in an instrumentation development environment for complex electro-mechanical products.
- Prior responsibility agile development using continuous integration and deployments
- Experience in an ISO 13485, ISO 9001, or medical device manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience developing products from early-stage concept to volume manufacturing a plus.
- Experience with statistical analysis of pharma manufacturing processes under GAMP/GxP or FDA regulations preferred
How to Apply
About Our Organization
RESILIENCE (National Resilience, Inc.) is a first-of-its-kind manufacturing and technology company dedicated to broadening access to complex medicines and protecting biopharmaceutical supply chains against disruption. Founded in 2020, the company is building a sustainable network of high-tech, end-to-end manufacturing solutions to ensure the medicines of today and tomorrow can be made quickly, safely, and at scale. RESILIENCE will offer the highest quality and regulatory capabilities, and flexible and adaptive facilities to serve partners of all sizes. By continuously advancing the science of biopharmaceutical manufacturing and development, RESILIENCE frees partners to focus on the discoveries that improve patients’ lives.