2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Transactional Attorney
Reports To: VP, Corporate Development
FLSA Class: Exempt
The Transactional Attorney is an integral role as a partner to multiple internal groups within Takara Bio USA, Inc. (TBUSA) providing key support on a wide range of legal matters with a focus on commercial and business transactions.
The Transactional Attorney role is office-based.
- Develop, assess and negotiate contracts including consulting, OEM, supply, services, software, request for proposal, sales agreements, etc.
- Seek and provide appropriate guidance and involvement of other relevant functions, such as licensing, marketing, operations and intellectual property, as needed.
- Ensure consistency of contract terms with company policies and goals.
- Provide support to VP and other members of the corporate development group for other agreements, such as intellectual property agreements, as needed.
- Advise internal business and commercial teams concerning complex business and contract issues such as contract interpretation, intellectual property, dispute resolution, and other legal risks.
- Help manage contract workflow process and facilitate the approval of the appropriate management.
- Promote process improvement initiatives and assist with development and implementation of policies and procedures within the Corporate Development group and the TBUSA organization.
- Other duties as assigned by the VP, Corporate Development.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- JD degree with at least 3 years of professional experience (law firm and/or in-house) advising on, drafting and negotiating agreements, including significant experience with transactions in the biotechnology industry, particularly experience in the business of manufacturing and supply of instruments and reagents is a strong plus.
- Admission to California state bar.
- BA or BS in life sciences or related field is preferred.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Enthusiastic self-starter, excellent team player.
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy.
- Confidence and poise when working closely with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong legal acumen and business sense with strong influencing skills and the ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Self-directed and proactive, comfortable executing on multiple projects independently and in collaboration with others.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.