Scientist, Bioinformatics (GUIs)
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Scientist, Bioinformatics (GUIs)
Reports to: R&D Group Leader
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
The Scientist, Bioinformatics works on developing and releasing NGS analysis pipelines with guidance from senior members of the Bioinformatics staff, other members of the R&D department and Marketing. This role may also be responsible for managing bioinformatics databases and supporting internal and external customer bioinformatics requests.
The Scientist, Bioinformatics role is office-based and located in Mountain View, CA.
Approximately 5% travel, including overnight, is required.
- Works to develop bioinformatics packages/pipelines for one or more projects, exhibiting good code design and development practice.
- Analyzes NGS data and generates reports exhibiting good analytical design, data summary and interpretation, and clear report preparation.
- Works to ensure projects are completed according to specifications and within set deadlines under guidance from senior members of the Bioinformatics staff and Product Managers.
- Learns to follow standard Software Development Life Cycle process, including version control and development of technical documentation with assistance from senior members of the Bioinformatics staff, Marketing and Operations teams.
- Identifies potential new bioinformatics tools for development based on assessment of customer demand, market trends, and competitor analysis with help from Product Managers and more senior members in the group.
- Serves as a resource to R&D and other departments within the organization, including Product Management, Quality Control, and Quality Assurance especially during product development.
- May represent R&D at scientific meetings or in front of customers – typically by presenting analysis of data.
- May support Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics or a relevant scientific discipline with 2-5 years of postdoctoral and/or industry experience.
- Hands-on experience analyzing NGS data sets using industry-standard methods and tools.
- Experience working with non-bioinformatics professionals to refine experimental design and analysis workflows.
- Professional pipeline development experience with one or more major programming languages such as Python, Java, or C/C++ under a Linux environment is required.
- Strong statistical, mathematical and/or analytical skills as demonstrated by experience with R, Matlab, or Python/Java/C++ math libraries.
- Collaborative personality with strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.