Research Associate III
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Research Associate III
Reports to: Senior Staff Scientist
FLSA Class: Exempt
The Research Associate III is responsible for assisting and working with research staff in the design, execution, and analysis of experiments aimed at developing new tools and reagents for life science. The Research Associate III independently plans and conducts relevant, complex experiments and tasks under guidance of senior scientific staff to meet specific research requirements and deadlines. This position reports to a Senior Staff Scientist.
The Research Associate III role is lab-based.
Approximately 2% travel, including overnight, may be required.
- Independently plans and conducts complex experiments under guidance of senior scientific staff.
- Selects, creates and /or modifies procedures and techniques to meet specific research requirements, with minimal guidance from supervisors.
- Conduct experiments through product development launch cycle from feasibility test through transfer to manufacturing.
- Operation of flow cytometry instrumentation including analysis and sorting (experience with BD instruments is preferred)
- Utilizes literature reviews, protocols, SOPs and prior laboratory experience to assist with experimental design, assay development, and workflow optimization.
- Accurately records procedures, materials used and results obtained, enabling others to understand and reproduce results.
- Presents and discusses experimental results with R&D members in group setting.
- Prepares technical reports, summarizing experiments done, results obtained, and proposals for next steps.
- Independently prepares technical documents, including work instructions and user manuals.
- May provide technical training to laboratory personnel and others within the company.
- May act as a resource for Technical Support on matters related to their product development
- Shares responsibility for general laboratory maintenance and housekeeping, including organization and purchasing of laboratory reagents and maintaining laboratory stocks.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- BA, BS or MS degree in relevant scientific discipline.
- Minimum of 5 – 8 years related experience.
- Knowledge in molecular biology (PCR, cloning) and hands-on experience in tissue culture (especially primary cells and hiPSCs) is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct complex experiments with an excellent understanding of relevant controls.
- Able to provide clear, concise and well-documented reports of experiments done.
- Proven ability to propose solutions and next-step experiments.
- Adaptable to shifting demands.
- Broad experience with all aspects of the product development cycle.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.