R&D Group Leader (NGS/Reproductive Health Technologies)
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: R&D Group Leader (NGS/Reproductive Health Technologies)
Reports to: Director
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
We are looking for an experienced team leader and creative scientist to join our dynamic Research and Development team. The R&D Group Leader will lead a group of scientists and research associates to develop innovative NGS technologies for clinical applications in the Reproductive Health space. The Group leader works closely with Product Management, Bioinformatics, Operation and Quality teams to propose new product ideas, identify opportunities to expand the product line, and manage the complete R&D product development process to product launching. This role also contributes to the strategy and execution of IP portfolio, publications and external clinical collaborations.
The successful candidate must have in-depth knowledge of molecular biology principles and practice, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a demonstrated track record of independent product development, and solid experience in genetic testing or a related field.
The Group Leader role reports to the R&D Director. It is office-based and may be located in Mountain View, California or Ann Arbor, Michigan. Approximately 5% travel, including overnight and international travel, may be required.
- Plans, coordinates, and monitors timely execution and completion of various research projects by managing the detailed activities of a scientific team of research associates and scientists.
- Ensures the group's work is of high quality, exhibiting good experimental design, data summary and interpretation.
- Actively mentors and trains group members in good experimental design and analysis.
- Works closely and independently, through regular communication, with Product Managers to understand market trends and competition relevant to the product line(s) managed.
- Generates new ideas and proposes plans for the development of a product line as a whole; and proactively works to obtain Product Managers' support.
- Demonstrates ownership for the success and growth of product line(s); working with Product Managers, Operations, and other departments to ensure smooth development, launch and support of products within stated deadlines.
- Guides junior scientists through the product development process, including design of specifications, transfer to manufacturing and drafting of related documentation.
- Ensures that the group members maintain complete and accurate records in the relevant product development databases.
- Develops and maintains an external network of key research collaborators and scientific advisors in the academic/industrial community in which they are recognized as a key influencer.
- Serves as an expert resource to R&D, Product Management and other departments supporting their success in reaching the goals of the whole organization.
- Supports Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- Represents R&D at scientific meetings in front of customers and/or collaborators, including presenting seminars on TBUSA products in area of expertise.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline followed by 10+ years of a mix of academic and industrial experience.
- Experience managing the work of Research Associates with demonstrated potential to manage the work of PhD level scientists
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and judgment skills and the ability to mentor these skills in others.
- In-depth and broad knowledge of molecular and cellular biology, including relevant techniques and applications (e.g. nucleic acid handling, NGS library preparation and sequencing, WGA, DNA/RNA/epigenetics, qPCR and oligo design).
- Experience with R/python for NGS data analysis.
- Good knowledge of the biomedical research industry.
- Success in developing commercially viable products.
- Prior experience managing external collaborations is preferred.
- Good knowledge of U.S. intellectual property laws.
- Collaborative personality with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.