Product Manager (PCR/OEM)
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Product Manager (PCR/OEM)
Reports to: Director, Product Management
FLSA Class: Exempt
The candidate will manage our PCR reagents portfolio and provide launch support for our OEM business. This position is ideally suited for a candidate with a strong background in molecular biology and enzymology plus two years of experience in a related marketing or sales role. Those with the requisite science background, no marketing experience, and a drive to learn will be considered for an Associate Product Manager position.
The Product Manager is responsible for managing a limited range of products through the product life cycle that includes working with R&D to set specifications and guide product development; developing launch plans and promotional activities; delivering training to our worldwide sales team to guide sales activities; working with our operations team to ensure that product availability meets market expectations. The Product Manager also participates in planning activities that include but are not limited to implementing pricing changes, analyzing competitive position, forecasting sales, and developing a tactical marketing plan for their area of responsibility.
The Product Manager works closely and receives guidance from the Director, Product Management to set priorities and schedule work
The Product Manager role is office-based. A limited amount of travel will be required as needed.
- Manage product line(s) through the entire product life cycle including conducting market research to identify needs, setting specifications for R&D to meet identified needs, launching products, and retiring products.
- Create product specifications that provide direction to R&D and ensure that the products being developed are targeted to identified opportunities.
- Develop and implement tactical plans for comprehensive and successful product launches.
- Make recommendations for and implement promotional plans.
- Conduct 6- or 12-month post launch reviews for key products.
- Ensure that products can be easily found by customers who are searching for them; provide web content that is informative and aids customer purchasing decisions.
- Conduct outbound marketing activities to inform customers of how the products can aid and improve their research.
- Develop sales support and distributor training materials including customer facing presentations and customer, sales, and distributor training materials.
- Conduct training to provide direction to the sales team on product technology and selling strategies.
- Conduct tactical team meetings that summarize sales targets, promotional campaigns, and competitor activity.
- Actively work with marketing management to define tactics and recommend specific actions based on campaign analysis and metrics.
- Work with Operations to ensure consistent product availability and quality.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Requires a BA, BS degree; MS, PhD is a big plus.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in marketing or sales. Other experience may be considered
- Demonstrated proficiency in presenting, written and verbal communication skills is required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team and creatively is required.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.