Manager, EH&S and Facilities
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Manager, EH&S and Facilities
Reports To: VP, Operations
FLSA Class: Exempt
The Manager, EH&S and Facilities is responsible for overseeing environmental, safety and facility compliance for the Takara Bio USA facilities. This role manages safety, environmental and facilities compliance audits and maintains permits. Manages vendors for building maintenance tasks, security, janitorial and waste management activities. Maintains all aspects of internal and external building structure and equipment. Works with Quality Assurance to ensure calibration and preventative maintenance for laboratory equipment and systems are complying.
This role works independently on complex tasks and activities, supervises staff in California and manages compliance at TBUSA facilities located in Michigan and Wisconsin.
The Manager, EH&S and Facilities role is facility-based.
- Review, develop and implement documented safety, environmental and facility procedures, conduct and document training.
- Responsible for safety and environmental compliance audits, acts as liaison for organization.
- Preparation of environmental regulatory reports.
- Conduct environmental regulatory reviews and document changes to existing procedures, communicate and train the organization.
- Emergency coordinator for the organization. Trains emergency response team on responsibilities.
- Maintain the California Electronic Reporting System (CERS) database.
- Maintain environmental and facility permits to comply with city, state, and federal regulations.
- Conduct incident investigations and initiate preventative and corrective actions.
- Manage vendor service agreements related to all facility and EH&S functions, includes BMS, hazardous waste removal, fire panel monitoring, landscaping, freezer monitoring, HVAC, generator, CDA, DI water, janitorial, security, pest control and others.
- Coordinate and manage facility and EH&S vendor tasks to maintain facility integrity and environmental, safety, janitorial, and security compliance.
- Coordinate with Quality Assurance on laboratory equipment preventative maintenance tasks and monitors system performance.
- Part of the on-call team for freezer monitoring and manages other team members activities.
- Maintain adequate facility and EH&S parts inventory.
- Decommission and dispose of end-of-life assets.
- Maintain and implement sustainability initiatives.
- Work independently on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Exercise good judgment on practices and policies and displays initiative in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions.
- Determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provides guidance and supervision to other exempt and nonexempt personnel.
- Possess good collaboration, communication, and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Adhere to quality system protocols and safety requirements of the job.
- Exhibit detailed knowledge of professional ethics, laws, and regulations.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Degree in biology, chemistry, or environmental or chemical engineering.
- 10+ year experience managing EH&S programs for biological or chemical manufacturing, as well as, experience with facility management responsibilities.
- Demonstrated aptitude to manage the work of others.
- Knowledge of Title 40 and Title 29 Code of Federal Regulations.
- Knowledge of Titles 8 and 22 of the California Code of Regulations.
- Knowledge of industrial hygiene, building maintenance requirements.
- Experience working in the biotechnology field desired.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Maintain a safe, clean, and productive work environment.
- Complies with applicable personal protection equipment.
- Ability lift, push, or pull up to 75 lbs. and up to 170 lbs. with assistance or use of tools.
- Physical movements include bend at waist, walk, sit, kneel, climb, crouch.
- Ability to climb ladders.
- Work around lubricants, solvents, batteries, cleaning fluids, paints.
- Experience handling and storage of hazardous waste for processing by certified environmental service organization.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.