Director, Functional Glycobiology Laboratory
2 Tower Place
South San Francisco, CA 94080
We are seeking a senior scientist with experience in experimental glycobiology to join our highly collaborative and supportive R&D community as Director of our newly established Functional Glycobiology Laboratory. Candidates will have substantive experience in the field of glycobiology and glycoproteomics, with a parallel background in supportive technical domains of molecular biology, in genetic and glycoproteomic engineering, and a sound understanding of glycobiology as it pertains to applied fields such as immunology and/or oncology. They will have leadership experience and credentials in mentoring and directing research groups as well as in establishing the requisite laboratory infrastructures. They will be highly motivated and resourceful to build and coach a team of more junior PhD scientists and technicians. Their work will be focused on mining, evaluating, and interpreting, from a functional biology and pathomechanistic viewpoint, data the company has accumulated, and continues to generate, and on designing and executing experiments for appropriate follow-up studies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize, structure, analyze, and interpret large glycoproteomic datasets generated from patient samples from a functional biology viewpoint, working closely with InterVenn’s data analysis team, devising, and applying innovative approaches to querying data sets.
- Generate hypotheses based on these analyses and devise experimental approaches towards testing and pursuing them from a functional biology viewpoint.
- Lead and coordinate the planning and execution of appropriate in-vitro and in-vivo experimental protocols with the team.
- Work closely with the analytical preclinical R&D team to devise innovative approaches to design follow-up studies as appropriate, drawing on their support for all MS-based analytical aspects.
- Take the lead in preparing and submitting original research abstracts and manuscripts, as well as review articles.
- Present the company’s research accomplishment in scientific meetings and conventions.
- Manage multiple projects within timelines according to high scientific and ethical standards.
- Promote a culture of transparency and traceability across all aspects of the company’s scientific agenda and portfolio.
- Forge and manage relationships with academic and industry collaborators as applicable and manage interactions with external vendors.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in medical/biological sciences.
- Strong background in glycobiology, glycomics, glycoproteomics, glycoprotein chemistry.
- Strong background in molecular biology and genomic technologies, as well as in immunology, and, preferably, oncology.
- Established leadership skills in managing a team of scientists and supportive staff.
- Experience with both bottom-up and top-down MS-based glycoprotein data generation; solid understanding of respective research approaches and data formats.
- Extensive experience in and familiarity with bioinformatic software and data bases, both general (e.g., IPA etc.) and (glyco)proteomics-specific tools (e.g., GlyTouCan, ProteomeTools, UniProt, KEGG GLYCAN, pGlyco, and PanoramaWeb, Byonic etc.).
- Solid conceptual biostatistical background – to be supported tactically by InterVenn’s data analysis and biostatistics team.
- Conceptual understanding of biomarker-driven health care research.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech, diagnostic, or life-science-tools industry is a plus.
- Proven record of being a fast learner, and a mindful and flexible team member.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, track record of successfully authoring scientific manuscripts.
- Ability to come up to speed quickly and seek out new solutions independently, thinking outside the box, ready to take on calculated risks.
- A genuine desire to impact patient lives and contribute to the greater scientific community.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
InterVenn Biosciences is pioneering the application of a new level of understanding of biology by accessing the third – next to nucleic acids and proteins—fundamental carrier of biological information, glycans – in the context of glycoproteomics. This is the language that InterVenn is translating for the benefit of patients, researchers, and human health. Our diverse backgrounds and experiences have culminated in a unique startup working at the intersection of mass spectrometry, glycobiology, and artificial intelligence to develop precision medicine products. We look forward to our team being joined by new members who have diverse perspectives and backgrounds, who are solution-oriented, and who are ready to challenge the status quo.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to InterVenn’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work.