Systems Integration Engineer
279 East Grand Avenue
South San Francisco, CA 94080
About the Role
Freenome is hiring a Systems Integration Scientist / Engineer to participate in a cross-functional team building the next generation of Freenome’s engineering platform to combat cancer and other age-related diseases. You will work in a team of world-class Scientists and Engineers focused on creating Freenome’s IVD Molecular Assay Platform.
If you are passionate about building a robust state of the art molecular assay platform while combating cancer, have a high sense of ownership, and take pride in being a servant-leader managing a growing team while continuing to make an individual impact, we would love to speak with you!
As part of a dynamic, flexible company you will be adapting to rapid technological progress and change, and help the team building the platform do the same.
How you’ll contribute:
- Supports Freenome core team activities related to assay system integration, including assay optimization, fluidics, process validation; and troubleshooting and failure analysis.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with Project Management, Biology R&D, Consumables R&D, Software, Technical Support, Service, and other functions to deliver a new highly spatially multiplexed instrumentation platform that meets the needs of Freenome product portfolio.
- Designs, plans and executes Systems Integration related projects ensuring that they are consistent with project critical path timelines.
- Applies sophisticated analytical problem solving skills to reagent and system integration issues to identify critical performance factors for assay development.
- Hands-on design and execution of complex test methods to assess hardware and system performance per Design Input Requirements.
- Applies broad scientific, technical or professional concepts in accordance with area(s) objectives. Assesses results for applicability, validity, and conformance to Product Requirements. Writes and manages requirements as part of Project Team. Creates and maintains design documentation in Design History Files.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree with 5+ years of related work experience
- Education or equivalent experience in a relevant field such as Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering, etc.
- Previous experience as a hands-on engineer, scientist, or product developer (e.g. System Integration Scientist / Engineer, System Development Scientist / Engineer, or related occupation).
- Strong leadership skills and emotional intelligence.
- Experience with developing and integrating complex instrumentation systems which incorporate optical, mechanical, thermal, and firmware components.
- Data analysis expertise and experience with various data analysis software packages.
- Well-developed mathematical and statistical analysis skills. (i.e., JMP, R, DOE)
- Knowledge of SQL, Python, R or other programming languages highly desired
- Knowledge of a broad range of principles of biology, chemistry and physics, such as spectroscopic techniques, organic chemistry, electromagnetic theory, and thermodynamics.
- Must have strong integration analytical, process validation and troubleshooting skills to understand system interfaces and be able to quickly analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve system interoperability problems.
- Working knowledge of design of experiments, interpretation of test results, failure investigation and root cause failure analysis.
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to communicate verbally in an efficient and effective manner and be proficient in written documentation and technical presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies and tasks.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another, and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, and holding themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in others’ good intentions, and being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.