Staff Mechanical Engineer
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing a unique long-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the Pacific Biosciences team.
Pacific Biosciences is looking for an experienced staff mechanical engineer to design hardware and fluidics systems for our next generation SMRT sequencing instruments. This person will work with the broader hardware team to understand and refine requirements, design hardware, drive interdisciplinary design reviews and implement solutions from an optimal blend of off-the-shelf and custom components. This person should be comfortable creating order in loosely defined environments in order to handoff an organized product to the manufacturing team.
This successful candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills and excel in effective collaboration with optical, electrical, software, manufacturing, and systems subject matter experts within the department as well as program management. The candidate must feel comfortable inspiring and leading through innovation and discovery.
Ideally the candidate has experience with semiconductor capital equipment, laboratory instruments or similar products.
- Integrating designs with fluidic systems whether off the shelf or custom designed
- Mechanism and automation design
- Product development from concept to production handoff and follow up support on released instruments on an as needed basis
- Tolerance budgeting for robust part to part fit
- Identify and work with plastic suppliers for DFM and to bring up and qualify molds
- Actively seek out and collect input from stakeholders across supporting disciplines
- Understanding, articulating, & managing competing requirements
- Translate requirements into instrument and module specifications
- Understand, troubleshoot, and resolve issues with a hands-on approach
- Education: BS in mechanical engineering with 5 or more years of experience in mechanical engineering
- Experience in biotech or biomedical instruments and/or genetic analysis preferred
- Experience with fluidic systems and integrating fluidic components
- Solid grasp of engineering fundamentals (mechanics of materials, motion control systems, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, etc)
- Experience designing for various plastic manufacturing techniques and working with plastic suppliers for DFM and to bring up & qualify molds
- Experience designing mechanisms, such as motorized drawers and linkages
- Excellent hands-on bench & lab skills working with mechanical components
- >5,000 seat hours in SolidWorks
- Proficiency in documenting designs, procedures, and implementation of document changes
- Ability to read and interpret test data
- Experience with automation and with available off the shelf products
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills a must. Demonstrated experience in working within a multi-disciplinary team in a fast paced, technically challenging environment. Relevant product development and / or industry experience required
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.