Sr Manager / Director Mechanical Engineering
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing a unique long-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the Pacific Biosciences team.
Pacific Biosciences is looking for an experienced mechanical engineering manager to lead a talented and creative team. This person will coordinate and direct a wide spectrum of mechanical engineering projects integral to our DNA sequencing products. This person will lead their team working through challenges and considerations related to chassis design, thermal management, environmental controls, vibration abatement, robotics, liquid handling, opto-mechanics, labware molded plastic consumables, precision mechanics and industrial design. This successful candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to effectively interface with electrical, optical, software and systems leaders within the department as well as cross departmental leaders in manufacturing and program management.
- Lead the mechanical design and development for Pacific Biosciences products and DNA sequencing instruments.
- Documenting requirements and specifications and leading design reviews with all stakeholders.
- Work with stakeholders across the company to understand product needs and implement solutions that meet business goals for quality, schedule, and cost.
- Develop plans and timelines, work with program management to integrate plans into a larger program. Track instrument and module builds to insure on time delivery. Participate in crafting budget for area of responsibility.
- Transition deliverables to mass production in collaboration with manufacturing NPI.
- Collaborate with manufacturing on NPI and product sustaining activities, including overseeing Bill of Material releases in Agile with complete documentation packages for each part, and keeping track of cost of materials
- Select and manage external technology development partners.
- Attract, develop, and retain an engaged mechanical engineering team.
- Bachelors and/or Masters in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline with 10+ years of work experience.
- Proven track record using SolidWorks and associated tools for CAD, thermal simulations and documentation release.
- Proven track record using Oracle Agile PLM
- Possess an analytical mindset and experience leading the design of DNA sequencing, laboratory instrumentation, semiconductor capital equipment, factory automation or related product space.
- Experience leading and architecting complex products integrating optics, thermals, environmental controls and fluid handling.
- Demonstrated competency in mechanical engineering design process, supplier management, leading design partners and transitioning products to manufacturing.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, a strong team player, able to take initiative, detail-oriented, and able to work effectively as part of a management team. Thrives in a fast-paced environment, interacting with scientists and engineers from a variety of disciplines.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.