Summary of Major Responsibilities
We are looking for a Statistical Geneticist to drive the creation of new methods for the analysis and interpretation of next-generation sequencing (NGS) data. Working with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team at the interface of chemistry, molecular biology, bioinformatics, and software, this role will create and establish tools and methods to enable the analysis of DNA sequence and methylation data in support of our R&D projects and clinical studies.
The place of work is Oxford, United Kingdom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute critically to the assay design team by developing novel methodologies and classifier algorithms.
- Develop novel methodologies and algorithms for methylation analysis of bisulphite and enzyme-treated DNA from NGS data.
- Provide technical guidance on the design and analysis of experiments during all phases of development.
- In collaboration with the development team, contribute to the code stack.
- Produce high quality written documentation of methods, algorithms, plans, and findings.
- Keep up-to-date with the developing literature for the statistical analysis of methylation data using high throughput sequencing technologies and contribute these insights to the team.
- Interact with external collaborators in the context of clinical trials and pilot studies.
- Contribute to the machine learning efforts of linking DNA methylation and variation data to scientifically/clinically relevant outcome; apply machine learning algorithms to other areas, such as efficient experiment design, as needed.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Exercise excellent team-working skills; ability completing collaborative projects on time and within budget.
- Exercise excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate complex ideas and information effectively at all levels.
- Enjoys working towards challenging goals in a fast-moving environment where on-time delivery of results is a high priority.
- Ability to act with an inclusion mindset and model these behaviors for the organization.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ph.D. in statistical genetics, applied mathematics, statistics, or related field.
- 3+ years of experience working in statistical genetics.
- 2+ years of experience of working with genetic data.
- 2+ years of experience conducting high-quality independent research.
- Demonstrated proficiency in scientific programming, such as python and/or R.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Right to work in United Kingdom without sponsorship.
- 5+ years of experience working in statistical genetics.
- Previous post-doctoral or industry experience in the genomics and/or DNA sequencing field; ideally in the cancer field.
- For applicants from academia, academic publication record in peer-reviewed journals consistent with career stage.
- Experience developing diagnostics products in the genomics industry.
- Experience or interest in learning about machine learning and/or data science techniques, such as supervised/unsupervised learning, dimensionality reduction, feature engineering, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of method development in the high throughput DNA sequencing analysis space.
How to Apply
Please apply through our career portal via https://international-exactsciences.icims.com/job…
About Our Organization
CHANGE CAREERS. CHANGE LIVES.
Exact Sciences is a leading, global, advanced cancer diagnostics company.
We aim to eradicate cancer and the suffering it causes through tests that help prevent cancer, detect it earlier, and guide treatment.
At the end of 2020, we acquired Base Genomics – an innovative start-up working to set a new standard in DNA methylation with TAPS, a breakthrough technology that makes epigenetic analysis of DNA methylation more sensitive, accurate and cheaper than ever before. Long-term, we expect TAPS to become central to a host of major new healthcare and research applications.Together we are forming an Exact Sciences center of innovation based in Oxford, and are going through an exciting growth period.