Scientist, Bioinformatics Applications
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences is seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist to support application development using SMRT® sequencing data, with a focus on human genomics. The candidate will employ expertise in bioinformatics, data analysis, biological insight, and software engineering. The ability to interact with marketing, internal support and development; communicate with customers both pre- and post-sales; and communicate results to diverse audiences are important aspects of this role. This scientist will be working in a fast-paced commercial environment, interacting with customers, other scientists and engineers from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Work with R&D and marketing teams to continually improve the bioinformatics capabilities and workflows associated with next generation sequencing data to support use of the platform in general and in strategic application areas
- Provide scientific and applications feedback to development, marketing, and sales
- Utilize and integrate both Pacific Biosciences tools and open source academic tools to help analyze data for internal and customer projects
- Document bioinformatics workflows and pipelines for use by a wide audience
- Assist customers and collaborators in experimental design and analysis to promote the use of the Pacific Biosciences instrumentation in their laboratories
- Problem-solve to overcome technical challenges (including basic Linux operation, Pacific Biosciences analysis software, and operation of bioinformatics analysis pipelines)
- Train bioinformatics customers and collaborators on PacBio data characteristics, target applications, and PacBio and other open source academic tools
- Assist sales and support in pre-sales functions as well as working with customers to understand and integrate their work flows
- Conduct scientific presentations to internal and external audiences
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Min. Master’s degree, PhD Preferred in bioinformatics or life sciences
- 3+ years experience in bioinformatics.
- Proficiency with a scripting language such as Python is required
- Proficiency with a statistical package such as R
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing analysis and pipelines
- Intermediate level of experience in Unix operating systems
- Strong presentation and communication skills required
- Sufficient familiarity with the paper publication process and associated experimental design requirements.
- Strong trouble-shooting abilities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.