Senior Scientist, Organic Chemistry
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences is seeking an experienced and highly motivated synthetic chemist to further the development and understanding of our single molecule, real-time DNA sequencing technology.
This individual will be expected to:
- Develop novel macromolecular reagents and surface chemistries that enhance the performance of the PacBio DNA sequencing platform.
- Work closely with other teams on methods for evaluation of these reagents.
- Gain an understanding of the chemical and biochemical processes that will lead to improved reagents.
- Become an expert in molecular architecture both in solution and on surfaces.
- Support our new product introduction team, process development team, and manufacturing teams at any stage in the development cycle.
The ideal candidate for this role will have strong organic synthesis skills applied to the preparation of large molecular assemblies for bioassays. Hands-on experience in surface and polymer chemistry is highly desirable. Additional skills in nucleotide and fluorescent dye synthesis and applications are also valuable. The candidate will enjoy working in a highly interdisciplinary team of scientists.
- Design, synthesize, purify, and characterize novel complex reagents for SMRT DNA sequencing.
- Prepare and analyze various water-soluble polymers.
- Synthesize and characterize new reagents for surface functionalization.
- Assist with method development to modify surfaces with novel reagents.
- Provide chemistry support to projects in other groups.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry, or equivalent
- 3 or more years of industrial experience, preferably in the life sciences area
- Strong background in synthetic organic chemistry
- Experience in surface and polymer chemistry
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry is desirable
- Experience in fluorescent dye chemistry or nucleotide chemistry would be beneficial
- Sharp problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of scientists
- Attention to detail, careful record-keeping, a high level of organization, and good verbal and written communication skills
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.