Senior Surface Scientist
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
At Pacific Biosciences (NASDAQ: PACB), we are passionate about developing high-quality, innovative technologies and systems that impact areas of critical importance, including human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Our unique long-read gene sequencing technology generates complete and accurate data, giving scientist more insights. We believe our tools will lead to advances that will create long-lasting benefits for the world and its future.
We are seeking an experienced surface scientist to further the development and understanding of surface chemistry components of our single molecule DNA sequencing platform. This individual will be expected to:
- Work collaboratively to develop novel surface chemistries that enhance the performance of Pacific Biosciences’ real-time single molecule DNA sequencing platform.
- Lead the effort to improve sample immobilization chemistry on our platform by leveraging fundamental studies, developing functional assays, and exploring novel immobilization strategies.
- Support our new product introduction team, process development team and manufacturing teams to segment and troubleshoot surface science challenges at any stage in the development cycle.
This individual will have a broad surface science background and be able to apply these skills in diverse areas such as biochemical/surface interactions, process development, assay development for surface characterization, data analysis, etc. Responsibilities:
- Develop methods to characterize and improve sample immobilization efficiency.
- Provide surface science and materials science support to process development, manufacturing, and R&D.
- Perform experiments in collaboration with organic chemists, biochemists, and process engineers.
- Ph.D in chemistry, biochemistry, applied physics or equivalent
- Background in surface modification and surface characterization.
- Strong microscopy and related data analysis skills.
- Working knowledge of surface characterization techniques such as ellipsometry, XPS, AFM, TOF-SIMS, fluorescence microscopy, etc.
- Experience working collaboratively with analytical chemists, biochemists, molecular biologists and process engineers is desired. Strong interdisciplinary communication skills are critical.
- A basic knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry is desirable.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.