Staff Optoelectronic Packaging Engineer
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
The Process Development Group seeks an experienced engineer with background in packaging technologies for optoelectronic components to work on Device R&D. The individual will be required to technically lead and/or participate in complex and multifunctional development projects ranging from evaluation of optical sources to fiber alignment. The projects will require both initiative and a desire to learn about topics outside of conventional semiconductor/optoelectronic assembly. The candidate will be expected to participate not only in design and simulation activities but also in the development and fabrication of test structures and prototypes, both in-house and through external vendors. The candidate will be comfortable interacting with and managing external vendors and with working in extended teams. The candidate must have an appetite for solving complex problems requiring evaluation of intangible factors and must be very comfortable in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups including Manufacturing, Instrument R&D, Surface Chemistry and Semiconductor Design and Wafer Fabrication, to develop Packaging Solutions for PacBio’s emerging technologies using such technologies as micro-optical bench, fiber alignment (passive & active), optical transceivers, die attach, wire bond, flip chip, SMT etc.
- Manage external vendors to develop optimized components and assembly processes, identify and resolve issues and qualify new products. This may involve visits and teleconferences with domestic and overseas partners.
- Prepare specifications, drawings and models of packages and components, simulate device performance and develop prototypes.
- Define optical requirements for packaging structures, methods and materials.
- Execute test plans on package sub-components and full assemblies to determine design and process window.
- Prepare, execute and document specifications and Qualification Plans for new Package designs.
- Collaborate with R&D teams and with vendors to analyze failures and determine root cause using such techniques as SEM, EDX, TEM and mechanical and reliability testing.
- Bachelors or Advanced Degree or equivalent experience in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related scientific and engineering disciplines. More than 10 years of industry experience in optoelectronic packaging and assembly.
- In depth experience with chip level optical sources (e.g. LED, VCSEL) and fiber alignment strategies (active and passive) preferred.
- Familiarity with strategies and methods for package qualification, functional testing and failure analysis in low and high volume environments for consumer and/or medical applications.
- Experience with managing external vendors and OSATs.
- Proficient in CAD design tools such as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, simulation tools such as Lumerical or Zemax and in statistical analysis tools such as JMP or Minitab.
- Experience with failure analysis, DOE, SPC, FMEA and DFM.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.