Chemical and Epigenetics Scientist
CHANGE CAREERS. CHANGE LIVES.
Exact Sciences is a leading, global, advanced cancer diagnostics company.
We aim to eradicate cancer and the suffering it causes through tests that help prevent cancer, detect it earlier, and guide treatment.
At the end of 2020, we acquired Base Genomics – an innovative start-up working to set a new standard in DNA methylation with TAPS, a breakthrough technology that makes epigenetic analysis of DNA methylation more sensitive, accurate and cheaper than ever before. Long-term, we expect TAPS to become central to a host of major new healthcare and research applications.
Together we are forming an Exact Sciences center of innovation based in Oxford, and are going through an exciting growth period.
A PhD Scientist with experience in creating and developing chemistries for genetic and epigenetic analysis to join a highly skilled interdisciplinary team working at the interface of chemistry, molecular biology and bioinformatics. You will focus on the enhancing and characterizing the TAPS chemistry further and developing the core laboratory workflows and reagents used to implement it.
include but are not limited to the following:
● Spending a significant portion of your time in the lab, you will design, develop and commercialise groundbreaking epigenetic analysis chemistries in a fast-paced product development environment.
● Adapt and optimise existing chemistries for epigenetic analysis of DNA and create improved methods that significantly extend capabilities.
● Identify and source new active chemicals, additives or formulations that enable improved assay performance, stability, robustness or other desirable characteristics.
● Design NGS sequencing experiments and use NGS data in order to measure the performance of epigenetic analysis methods and chemistries.
● Deploy analytical methods and assays suitable for characterisation & QC of novel chemistries.
● Use deep expertise and systematic problem-solving methods to troubleshoot complex issues.
● Develop and document lab-scale processes for the formulation and QC of critical reagents to enable scalable manufacturing processes. Support the transfer of new processes and products to manufacturing.
● Collaborate effectively with the broader R&D team and senior staff on project requirements, planning, execution and reporting.
● Present results, recommendations and progress reports regularly to senior staff, colleagues and collaborators.
● Contribute to the documentation of experimental protocols.
● Collaborate in the preparation of scientific reports and journal articles.
● Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
● Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
● Regular and reliable attendance.
● Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 100% of a typical working day.
● Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
● Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment including microscopes, microtomes, blades, strainers, pipettes for extended periods of time.
● May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
● Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
● May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation.
● PhD in Chemistry/Biochemistry/Molecular Biology or Genetics or high school degree/general education diploma and 6 years of relevant experience in lieu of PhD degree
● A background in chemistry coupled with experience of genetic analysis technologies will be particularly advantageous
● Strong skills in chemical biology, nucleic acid chemistry and molecular biology techniques
● Experience with NGS or other genetic analysis methods
● Strong theoretical and practical chemistry skills, especially as applied to DNA
● Good knowledge of modern analytical methods (eg, HPLC, Mass Spec and NMR)
● Excellent team working skills with previous experience of completing collaborative projects on time and within budget
● Demonstrable experience in conducting high-quality independent research with proven ability to write-up scientific findings in peer-reviewed journals
● Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) with the ability to communicate complicated ideas and information effectively at all levels.
● Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, disability, nationality, ethnicity, creed, social status, age, and any other status protected by applicable UK national law or local reg
How to Apply
Please apply using this link: https://international-exactsciences.icims.com/job…