Research Associate - Genomic Assay Development
501 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
Volta Labs is seeking an exceptional research associate passionate about molecular biology to join our vibrant and interdisciplinary team in Cambridge, MA. You will contribute to small and large projects pertaining to Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS), Transcriptomics and Epigenetics on Volta’s proprietary platform. You will work closely with members of the Volta on assay development and instrument development to test and optimize various molecular biology approaches. Specific techniques include, but are not limited to, Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) including DNA-seq / RNA-seq library preparation, nucleic acid extraction, purification and quantification, qPCR, cell culture, assay automation.
- Assist with the development of new DNA and RNA extraction approaches
- Assist with the development of new sequencing and molecular biology approaches
- Execute complex laboratory experiments with minimal errors
- Develop and troubleshoot protocols on Volta’s proprietary automation platform
- Document and summarize results that are clear and actionable
- Communication of data, observations, and issues to team members
- Work closely with a cross-functional team consisting of biologists, engineers and software developers
- Proactively build technical competencies in technology and biology associated with product development
- Assist in the generation of documents such as manuals, protocols and SOPs.
- Recent M. S. or B. S. in Molecular Biology or similar program with 1+ years of relevant experience in a research or industry position (experience can be ignored for exceptional candidates)
- Strong experience with molecular biology techniques: PCR, RT-PCR, cell cultures, running gels and NGS library preparation including RNA-seq and/or DNA-seq
- Familiarity with laboratory automation system and enthusiasm for working on evolving prototypes
- Ability to work in a fast based start-up work environment with ability to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to clearly articulate ideas, protocols and concepts with biologists, engineers and non-scientists.
- Excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills to work well with scientists and engineers having widely divergent backgrounds.
- Self-starter who requires minimal supervision to be productive
- Experience in molecular cloning, plasmid purification and bacterial preparation
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and protein expression systems
- Experience with microfluidics technology
- Experience with NGS sequencing platforms including Illumina sequencing
- Familiarity with tools to analyze NGS data
- Employment experience in a small company setting
- Working knowledge in surface chemistry and / or polymer chemistry
How to Apply
About Our Organization
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.co) is an MIT spin-off company that makes programmable fluidic chips for biological automation. We are a transdisciplinary team combining engineering, surface chemistry and molecular biology to enable next generation of automation for genomics and genetic engineering.