Semantic Web Developer
EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Genome Campus, Hinxton
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (as applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details, please see our employee benefits page.
This is a great opportunity to work in a dynamic team providing tailored semantic solutions to collaborating groups both within and outside the EBI. Your work will support a range of high profile international projects including the Human Cell Atlas, the Phenomics First Initiative, the GWAS catalog and the EBI expression atlas.
You will be responsible for gathering requirements from the teams we support and using the results to design and maintain application-ontology build pipelines and ontology curation support infrastructure. The resulting application ontologies will select and integrate content from a variety of external ontology sources. You will use and extend existing architecture for managing ontology builds and supporting ontology curation, improving robustness, ease of configuration and ease of use.
- A degree in computer science or a degree in biological sciences along with a higher degree in computer science
- Strong experience of software development in Python &/or Java
- Experience in shell scripting
- Experience with RDF &/OR OWL and related technologies.
You might also have
- A higher degree in computer science, ideally with some specialisation in semantics
- Experience managing a team of developers
- Experience with gathering user requirements and developing specifications
- Experience in agile software development
- Experience with using Makefiles to run software builds.
How to Apply
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a grant/project-limited 2 year fixed-term contract.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- Your application: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 4 June 2021.
About Our Organization
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.