Technical Lead/Sr Scientist, Assay Research
230 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Position: Technical Lead/Sr Scientist, Assay Research
Reports To: Associate Director, Assay Development
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Talis is an exciting biomedical company that just completed an IPO on February 12, 2021! We have developed an innovative, proprietary, point-of-care molecular diagnostics platform. We have also recently developed a rapid COVID-19 assay test that runs on this platform. Enabling rapid testing across a wide range of healthcare settings, Talis is growing quickly. Come and join us to make a significant impact during this public health crisis and beyond. Contribute and be a significant team member as we develop other assays and launch other pipeline products in the infectious disease area.
Our visionary team combines depth of experience with passion to deliver. Our pioneering tests are designed to enable caregivers to quickly detect infectious organisms and enable individualized care. From the doctor’s office to the hospital bedside, to remote care settings, we are re-defining the treatment of infectious diseases.
Talis is committed to excellence in advancing improved health outcomes. This commitment, along with a dynamic team culture, drives our mission to develop and commercialize novel approaches.
We are seeking talented, motivated, and driven individuals to join a collaborative effort to enable the development of rapid diagnostic tests. In this role, you will provide scientific leadership and act as the subject matter expert for the Assay Research Team. The technical lead plays a hands-on role and is responsible for developing assays and conducting research in specific projects from conception to definition with little guidance. You will closely with members of other teams to develop new assays and/or improve the performance of existing ones. You will be responsible for developing, mentoring, and managing a team of Research Associates and/or scientists. This position is 50% wet-lab work, and 50% planning and management.
This opportunity is in the fields of molecular diagnostics and leverages our proprietary microfluidic system. Come and join us and showcase your scientific acumen and leadership in a truly collaborative and supportive culture. This role is based in Menlo Park, California.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the development of new assays for the detection of microorganisms from different matrixes using isothermal amplification in our proprietary platform under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Act as subject matter expert and maintains a deep knowledge of methods for identifying microorganisms, including extraction and amplification methods.
- Identify, develop, and translate novel methods for microbial identification from different matrixes.
- Plan, coordinate, and monitor the execution of projects, including the work of Research Associates and Scientists, proactively and independently coordinating with other groups to successfully achieve goals.
- Responsible for developing plans, timelines, drafting reports and presenting data within the unit and to stakeholders across the company.
- Responsible for ensuring the complete and accurate recording of all experimental data and for maintaining the highest quality and integrity in our research.
- Lead experimental design, data analysis, planning and execution of experiments to achieve goals.
- Develop, mentor, and manage Research Associates and/or Scientists.
- This position is based in Menlo Park and is 50% wet-lab work.
- PhD in a relevant discipline (Infectious disease, Molecular Biology, Molecular Microbiology, Biochemistry, etc.).
- 4 or more years of post-graduate hands-on wet-lab and experimental design experience in the areas of molecular microbiology, virology (with focus on developing NAAT), bacteriology, or related field.
- 2+ years of industry and management experience.
- Deep hands-on knowledge of molecular biology with an emphasis in nucleic acid extraction, qPCR, RT-qPCR, primer design and troubleshooting. Has experience with isothermal amplification technologies.
- Has experience developing NAAT to detect microorganisms for point of care (POC).
- Delivered first-author publications and/or patents in academic and/or industry settings. Experience in developing or improving the performance of NAAT preferred.
- Expert in experimental design and a critical thinker with the ability to quickly acquire and adopt novel technologies in the area of molecular biology and/or related fields.
- Excellent bench skills required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in Design of Experiments (DOE) is a plus.
Talis offers excellent health and welfare benefits, stock options, a 401(k) program with immediate Company match, a rotating suite of snacks, Monday breakfasts, Happy Hours, other fun company events and more! Best of all, join us by working at a growing company like Talis with dedicated and collaborative employees committed to making a difference in Health Care.
Talis is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.
How to Apply