Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

BioMérieux, Sysmex Dissolve Japanese Joint Venture

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb) – BioMérieux and Sysmex announced today that they will dissolve a nearly 10-year-old joint venture that aimed to bring BioMérieux's in vitro diagnostic products to the Japanese market.

No reason was given for the dissolution.

In early 2008, the companies formed the JV, called Sysmex BioMérieux, to promote and commercialize BioMérieux's IVD reagents and medical instruments in Japan through Sysmex's sales and marketing infrastructure. Sysmex held a 34 percent stake in the JV, with BioMérieux owning the remaining 66 percent.

However, the companies have now agreed to dissolve the JV, transferring all of Sysmex's holdings in the company to BioMérieux. Sysmex will continue to distribute BioMérieux products in Japan until Oct. 31 and provide customer service for these products until March 31, 2018. BioMérieux said that it intends to build its own commercial structure in Japan to take over activities previously handled by Sysmex.

Additional terms were not disclosed.

The Scan

Octopus Brain Complexity Linked to MicroRNA Expansions

Investigators saw microRNA gene expansions coinciding with complex brains when they analyzed certain cephalopod transcriptomes, as they report in Science Advances.

Study Tracks Outcomes in Children Born to Zika Virus-Infected Mothers

By following pregnancy outcomes for women with RT-PCR-confirmed Zika virus infections, researchers saw in Lancet Regional Health congenital abnormalities in roughly one-third of live-born children.

Team Presents Benchmark Study of RNA Classification Tools

With more than 135 transcriptomic datasets, researchers tested two dozen coding and non-coding RNA classification tools, establishing a set of potentially misclassified transcripts, as they report in Nucleic Acids Research.

Breast Cancer Risk Related to Pathogenic BRCA1 Mutation May Be Modified by Repeats

Several variable number tandem repeats appear to impact breast cancer risk and age at diagnosis in almost 350 individuals carrying a risky Ashkenazi Jewish BRCA1 founder mutation.