Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

Venaxis, Strand Terminate Merger Plans

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb) – Diagnostics developer Venaxis and privately held genomics company Strand Life Sciences announced today that they are terminating their proposed merger.

The companies noted that they determined they could not complete the terms of their deal in a timely enough manner and that the uncertainty was negatively affecting their respective plans.

The companies announced their intent to join together in January, as part of a strategy Venaxis started in early 2015 to look for a partner to develop and commercialize its appendicitis test portfolio. The terms of the deal were such that once it closed, Strand's shareholders would own approximately 68 percent of the combined company, and Venaxis shareholders would own the remaining 32 percent.

The deal was structured in two parts: First, Venaxis would purchase Strand's shares from its shareholders, and then Strand's shareholders were to immediately re-invest those proceeds into Venaxis common stock.

"Venaxis is evaluating the alternatives available to it in light of the termination of the master agreement and other transaction agreements, and expects to provide an update to its investors as soon as possible," said CEO Steve Lundy in a statement.

Venaxis' shares fell nearly 6 percent to $.21 in after-hours trading on the Nasdaq.

The Scan

Quality Improvement Study Compares Molecular Tumor Boards, Central Consensus Recommendations

With 50 simulated cancer cases, researchers in JAMA Network Open compared molecular tumor board recommendations with central consensus plans at a dozen centers in Japan.

Lupus Heterogeneity Highlighted With Single-Cell Transcriptomes

Using single-cell RNA sequencing, researchers in Nature Communications tracked down immune and non-immune cell differences between discoid lupus erythematosus and systemic lupus erythematosus.

Rare Disease Clues Gleaned From Mobile Element Insertions in Exome Sequences

With an approach called MELT, researchers in the European Journal of Human Genetics uncovered mobile element insertions in exomes from 3,232 individuals with or without developmental or neurological abnormalities.

Team Tracks Down Potential Blood Plasma Markers Linked to Heart Failure in Atrial Fibrillation Patients

Researchers in BMC Genomics found 10 differentially expressed proteins or metabolites that marked atrial fibrillation with heart failure cases.