Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

Getting All Philosophical

Over on his blog, John Hawks discusses what it means to be human — he says all humans share their evolutionary history. People may not share any genes with their 20th cousin, he says, but they still share that same history. Blogger RPM, though, isn't sure that's true, depending on what definition of "gene" Hawks was going for. If Hawks meant copy number polymorphism or allele, Evolgen's RPM says he was wrong, but if he meant a more genealogical definition — full siblings have a 75 percent chance of sharing a gene, first cousins 25 percent chance, and so on — then he's right. "In fact, all humans share an evolutionary history — a tighter history than we share with our closest living relatives, the chimpanzees. And that's what Hawks says makes us human," says RPM.

The Scan

Fertility Fraud Found

Consumer genetic testing has uncovered cases of fertility fraud that are leading to lawsuits, according to USA Today.

Ties Between Vigorous Exercise, ALS in Genetically At-Risk People

Regular strenuous exercise could contribute to motor neuron disease development among those already at genetic risk, Sky News reports.

Test Warning

The Guardian writes that the US regulators have warned against using a rapid COVID-19 test that is a key part of mass testing in the UK.

Science Papers Examine Feedback Mechanism Affecting Xist, Continuous Health Monitoring for Precision Medicine

In Science this week: analysis of cis confinement of the X-inactive specific transcript, and more.