Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

Difficulties After the Freeze

A new report from science funding advocacy group Science Is Vital says researchers in the UK are seeing fewer and smaller grants awarded as well as are experiencing difficulties in recruiting staff and students, the Nature News Blog says.

According to the report, the majority of the nearly 870 respondents said that after the 2010 freeze of the UK science budget, their grant application success rate declined. For those respondents that had successful grant applications, 44 percent said the budget had been cut, mostly affecting staff. In addition, 39 percent of respondents said they have recruited fewer PhD students, with 19 percent saying they could not recruit any PhD students.

While a large number of student respondents said that the UK is a good or excellent place to carry out research, 53 percent said they would consider moving out of the UK to start their career while the other 47 percent was unsure.

"We were quite frankly surprised by just how much scientists are struggling to cope in the current climate of managed decline in funding," adds Jennifer Rohn from University College London and a founder of Science Is Vital in a statement.

The Scan

Tara Pacific Expedition Project Team Finds High Diversity Within Coral Reef Microbiome

In papers appearing in Nature Communications and elsewhere, the team reports on findings from the two-year excursion examining coral reefs.

Study Examines Relationship Between Cellular Metabolism, DNA Damage Repair

A new study in Molecular Systems Biology finds that an antioxidant enzyme shifts from mitochondria to the nucleus as part of the DNA damage response.

Stem Cell Systems Target Metastatic Melanoma in Mouse Model

Researchers in Science Translational Medicine describe a pair of stem cell systems aimed at boosting immune responses against metastatic melanoma in the brain.

Open Pediatric Brain Tumor Atlas Team Introduces Genomic Data Collection, Analytical Tools

A study in Cell Genomics outlines open-source methods being used to analyze and translate whole-genome, exome, and RNA sequence data from the Pediatric Brain Tumor Atlas.