The Genome Sciences building at the University of Washington was evacuated yesterday evening due to a chemical spill, reports the school's paper, The Daily. The Seattle Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Walsh says that a shelf in a chemical storage cabinet broke. "There was a variety of products that broke and spilled together, some formaldehyde and some unknown products," Walsh tells The Daily. "It was about six liters that mixed together, but it was confined to one room on the third floor that had a vent hood." No one was injured, though one person did take an emergency shower but was not hurt. The building reopened later in the evening, but the room in which the spill took place is being cleaned by a hazmat team.
Dec 08, 2010