Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

Ista Pharmaceuticals, Alton Plaza Property, United BioSource, Colliers International, First Martin Corporation, First Service Corporation, Meredith & Grew

Premium
Ista Pharmaceuticals Adds to Its Office Space at Irvine, Calif., Headquarters
 
Ista Pharmaceuticals, a developer of treatments for eye disorders, said in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission it will add to its office space in Irvine, Calif.
 
Ista told the SEC it signed a lease Aug. 8 for an additional 8,181 square feet at 15285 Alton Parkway, within the Alton Plaza office/R&D campus. The expanded lease with campus owner Alton Plaza Property takes effect Dec. 12 and expires Dec. 31, 2010, bringing the company’s occupancy on the campus to 52,920 square feet. 15285 Alton Parkway is part of a 19-building, 215,345-square-foot, multi-tenant industrial and R&D campus situated on 14.5 acres near the Irvine Spectrum entertainment center.
 
In its SEC filing on Aug. 21, Ista also disclosed that it has extended for a year its lease for space at 15279 and 15295 Alton, from Oct. 31, 2009, to Dec. 31, 2010.
 

 
United BioSource Leases 11,000 Square Feet for New Ann Arbor, Mich., Office
 
The contract research organization United BioSource has has leased nearly 11,000 square feet of space in Ann Arbor, Mich. — on the first floor of 2200 Commonwealth Blvd., within the Plymouth Park office campus — for a new office that will focus on research and development consulting services for new pharmaceutical and life science companies.
 
The CRO has hired 13 people in Michigan, of which 11 were former Pfizer employees — including the manager of the new office, Barbara Withers. United BioSource plans to hire as many as 50 people over the next two years, general manager John Oates told the Ann Arbor News. Pfizer has announced it will shut down its Ann Arbor operations by next year.
 
Tim Guest and Cameron McCausland of Colliers International represented United BioSource in the lease deal. 2200 Commonwealth Blvd. is a multi-tenant building owned by First Martin Corporation of Ann Arbor, and previously occupied solely by Pfizer.
 
Headquartered in Bethesda, MD, United BioSource has 11,000 employees worldwide.
 

 
FirstService Acquires Meredith & Grew, Names New Senior Management Team
 
FirstService Corporation, a publicly listed property services company headquartered in Toronto, has completed its acquisition of an 80 percent stake in Boston-based commercial real estate brokerage Meredith & Grew. The remaining 20 percent of shares remains with M&G shareholders. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
 
The addition of M&G expands FirstServce’s commercial real estate services platform to more than 157 offices, in 26 countries around the world, and annual revenue exceeding $750 million.
 
“Our significant investment in Meredith & Grew is an important part of our vision to become one of the top global players in commercial real estate services,” said Jay Hennick, founder and CEO of FirstService, in a Sept. 5 press release announcing the acquisition,
 
M&G announced a new senior management team headed by Thomas Hynes Jr. as chairman and Kevin Phelan as president. Ronald Perry has been named head of M&G’s brokerage group, which includes the Boston brokerage, suburban brokerage, and retail brokerage teams.
 
Hynes joined Meredith & Grew in 1965 and was appointed president in 1988. He has over forty years experience in real estate brokerage and advisory activities.
 
Phelan joined the firm in 1978 to create the capital markets group. He has been involved in several billion dollars in financings across the United States, representing all property types. He is active in many civic and philanthropic organizations and will be honored in November with the Leventhal - Sidman Award at the 2007 United Way of Massachusetts Bay’s Real Estate and Building Industry Leadership Breakfast.
 
Perry is a long-time senior member and head of the firm’s Boston brokerage team, a position he will retain in addition to assuming the leadership responsibility for the firm’s brokerage group.

The Scan

Another Resignation

According to the Wall Street Journal, a third advisory panel member has resigned following the US Food and Drug Administration's approval of an Alzheimer's disease drug.

Novavax Finds Its Vaccine Effective

Reuters reports Novavax's SARS-CoV-2 vaccine is more than 90 percent effective in preventing COVID-19.

Can't Be Used

The US Food and Drug Administration says millions of vaccine doses made at an embattled manufacturing facility cannot be used, the New York Times reports.

PLOS Papers on Frozen Shoulder GWAS, Epstein-Barr Effects on Immune Cell Epigenetics, More

In PLOS this week: genome-wide association study of frozen shoulder, epigenetic patterns of Epstein-Barr-infected B lymphocyte cells, and more.