Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

European Commission Provides VIB $4.3M for New Researchers

By a GenomeWeb staff reporter

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb News) – Belgian life science research institute VIB today announced it is receiving €3 million ($4.3 million) to recruit and train scientists in integrative biology.

The funding comes from the European Commission's Mari Curie FP7 Cofund program, and will further introduce the newest high-throughput technologies within the non-profit institute, it said.

A condition of the funding is the expansion of integrative biology, which combines different technologies and disciplines, within VIB, with an emphasis on 'omics technologies.

"The people, technology, and knowledge that we can acquire thanks to the European Commission will make it possible to enhance the role of Flanders as a cutting-edge biotech region," Jo Bury, a managing director at VIB, said in a statement.

New researchers recruited by VIB will have 40 percent of their salaries paid by the EC, and VIB will pay the remaining 60 percent.

The Scan

Study Tracks Responses in Patients Pursuing Polygenic Risk Score Profiling

Using interviews, researchers in the European Journal of Human Genetics qualitatively assess individuals' motivations for, and experiences with, direct-to-consumer polygenic risk score testing.

EHR Quality Improvement Study Detects Demographic-Related Deficiencies in Cancer Family History Data

In a retrospective analysis in JAMA Network Open, researchers find that sex, ethnicity, language, and other features coincide with the quality of cancer family history information in a patient's record.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease Linked to Gut Microbiome Community Structure Gradient in Meta-Analysis

Bringing together data from prior studies, researchers in Genome Biology track down microbial taxa and a population structure gradient with ties to ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.

Ancient Greek Army Ancestry Highlights Mercenary Role in Historical Migrations

By profiling genomic patterns in 5th century samples from in and around Himera, researchers saw diverse ancestry in Greek army representatives in the region, as they report in PNAS.